LaunchBox Community Forums

Locate duplicates between platforms?

SkyHighGam3r

I'm trying to downsize, and one of the ways I'm doing this is to get rid of unnecessary duplicate items. For example, if a game like "Harvey Birdman Attorney at law" is on Wii, PSP, and PS2, I don't need 3 versions of it. When I audit a platform however, duplicates only shows matches within a single platform.

Is there a way that I can narrow down my search without going through each system with a fine-toothed comb? Appreciate any help/ideas I can get on this one. I have 31K+ games and it's just too much, I'm over it.

In the options window (Tools > Options...) go to the Visuals > Filters Side Bar tab and turn on the "All" sidebar option. Then go to the sidebar and select "All" then order by title. I'd recommend doing this in list view. You'll then have all the games with the same title together and can easily see what platforms you have them for and can delete the ones you no longer want to keep in your collection.

Hmm dang, yeah that's similar to what I am doing currently.
I went to all, organized by title, then used filters to narrow it to PS2, GC, XBOX, PSP, and Wii.
I've been going through that list trying to find duplicates.

It can be hard because not everything lines up how you'd hope. For example SRS: Street Syndicate Racing was listed as "Street Syndicate Racing" on Gamecube and was several rows down, almost missed it. Or there was RedCard 2003, on one system it was "Red Card", two words, and was way further down. (Not sure why on earth a space is calculated in alphabetization, but that's a different topic alltogether.)

I was hoping there was a way to utilize the audit feature cross system or something, but it doesn't sound like it. I appreciate the response regardless, and thank you.

On 1/11/2024 at 4:50 PM, SkyHighGam3r said:

(Not sure why on earth a space is calculated in alphabetization, but that's a different topic alltogether.)

Just to answer this question. It's because characters/symbols have their own unique values in programming, even "invisible" ones like whitespace, tab, carriage return, etc. The collation/sorting algorithms use these values to put strings in alphabetical order.