LaunchBox Community Forums

My Suggestions For Bigbox

TW187211

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and I have a few requests. But first of all, thanks for the hard work on Lauchbox i love it!

I have a hard time deciding on which game to play. And it doesn't help that I have ADHD lol. So, I was wondering if you guys can implement an option to pick a random game inside Bigbox? 

Also, it would be cool to have the option to hit the start button to launch a game within discovery mode.

Thanks!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TW187211 said:

So, I was wondering if you guys can implement an option to pick a random game inside Bigbox? 

We don't have a "Select random game" but you can go to the "All Games" view and then bind a key to "Spin Wheel" and then just hold it down for as long as you'd like and then play whatever game you land on when you release the key.

11 hours ago, TW187211 said:

Also, it would be cool to have the option to hit the start button to launch a game within discovery mode.

You can bind a key to "Play Game" to do this. Alternatively you can turn off the details page that has the options like Play, View Manual, etc and then selecting a game will instantly start that game instead of taking you to another screen.

6 hours ago, C-Beats said:

We don't have a "Select random game" but you can go to the "All Games" view and then bind a key to "Spin Wheel" and then just hold it down for as long as you'd like and then play whatever game you land on when you release the key.

You can bind a key to "Play Game" to do this. Alternatively you can turn off the details page that has the options like Play, View Manual, etc and then selecting a game will instantly start that game instead of taking you to another screen.

Awesome, I will give the spin wheel thing a try. thanks.

On 1/18/2024 at 1:29 PM, C-Beats said:

We don't have a "Select random game"

But why though? Is this hard to implement or something? This feature would be better than the myriad of other features added since LaunchBox' inception. Some of which are not very useful.

We have the feature in LaunchBox, unsure why it wasn't done in Big Box at the same time. That feature is quite a bit before my time here. The feature wouldn't be super simple in that we have to make it work in every view configuration Big Box has (which is quite a few). Overall though I don't think it's made the cut just because the feature in LaunchBox was viewed by a large number of users as one of those "not very useful" features and so didn't get pushed forward into Big Box landscape. Not saying this thread isn't the first time I've heard this request, but it doesn't come up very often and as I shown above you have other ways to randomly land on a game making the additional dev time seem pretty wasteful compared to what else we could get done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

the additional dev time seem pretty wasteful compared to what else we could get done.

I get that, but "Random Game" in BigBox is just such a glaring omision in my opinion. It's just so basic. I'm sure many of us here could just sit for ages pressing "next random game". I know I do** You have all this complex stuff being added into LaunchBox all the time and this little basic thing will just get left behind.

**BTW. I have an old plugin DLL that was made by Grila, from quite a few years back. It adds Random Game to the BigBox Options menu. The downside is that you have to go "Forward and Back" into it everytime to go to next game. It still works in the latest LaunchBox. Again, it is just not as ideal as clicking "next game" or whatever but it's the best we got. I don't think it's up for download here anymore. If anyone wants a copy, and Grila is ok with it, I can send via PM.

OK, C-Beats, thanks for the swift reply! (Sorry if I sound like an ungrateful Karen, I don't mean to)

Edited by JamesBond@ge