LaunchBox Community Forums

Do all these posts with images go into a DB somewhere?

strich

I'm new so sorry if this is an obvious answer, but looking through all the posts in this sub-forum there is a lot of great work! But I'm confused - Do these also get submitted into whatever database Launchbox uses to download media for ROMs? I really hope so as it seems a lot of great work would be left to obscurity in here!

If someone could enlighten me on what the process is that'd be great, I've also asked in the noob forum about how to fill in media for the 100s of ROMs with none at all:

I've wondered that myself.  There is a huge thread of clear logo re-drawing I've seen, and it's full of amazing cleaned up clear logos extracted from covers and boxes and such.  They are top notch.  But are they just forever stuck in that forum post? Or are those clear logos being added to the LB Database?  Don't really know. 

Saw a reply on your other post with some really good info.  I'm thinking your mame set isn't really curated at all, which is why you are seeing so many gaps in artwork.  I have a pretty complete artwork set for most of the popular systems if you need any help, shoot me a message.

18 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

I've wondered that myself.  There is a huge thread of clear logo re-drawing I've seen, and it's full of amazing cleaned up clear logos extracted from covers and boxes and such.  They are top notch.  But are they just forever stuck in that forum post? Or are those clear logos being added to the LB Database?  Don't really know. 

Saw a reply on your other post with some really good info.  I'm thinking your mame set isn't really curated at all, which is why you are seeing so many gaps in artwork.  I have a pretty complete artwork set for most of the popular systems if you need any help, shoot me a message.

Seaview who does many of them in that thread actually says "uploaded to DB" for his. For others is hit or miss.  There is no "auto" upload though so a user has to do the work. 

Edited by sundogak

53 minutes ago, sundogak said:

Seaview who does many of them in that thread actually says "uploaded to DB" for his. For others is hit or miss.  There is no "auto" upload though so a user has to do the work. 

Oh right.  Yeah, guess it could just be lost in a thread unless people go to the trouble to actually get it in the DB.  Is there a way to bulk upload an entire platform's various art assets  into the DB? Or do you have to do one game at a time?

Edited by damageinc86

1 hour ago, damageinc86 said:

Oh right.  Yeah, guess it could just be lost in a thread unless people go to the trouble to actually get it in the DB.  Is there a way to bulk upload an entire platform's various art assets  into the DB? Or do you have to do one game at a time?

LB DB is one image at time for users. There was an old plugin that had some bulk ability on per game basis to upload to DB but hasn't worked in awhile. It was fiddly even when it did work. Plus it created other issues in that the approval queue would get large as people uploaded all kinds of files (many times not always better) that reviewer had to wade through.  Then there is the problem of no way to know a better version was uploaded (other than manually looking).   I am always a bit hesitant to mindlessly have LB blind overwrite media in mass. 

Edited by sundogak

34 minutes ago, sundogak said:

LB DB is one image at time for users. There was an old plugin that had some bulk ability on per game basis to upload to DB but hasn't worked in awhile. It was fiddly even when it did work. Plus it created other issues in that the approval queue would get large as people uploaded all kinds of files (many times not always better) that reviewer had to wade through.  Then there is the problem of no way to know a better version was uploaded (other than manually looking).   I am always a bit hesitant to mindlessly have LB blind overwrite media in mass. 

Right.  Good points.  It's a tough undertaking that's for sure.  I'm working on a full Sega Master System box front set right now, and i'd like it to all to be in the LB DB,...but dang,...one at a time? We'll see if I have the energy and patience to do that after already spending way too much damn time on the boxes themselves lol.