LaunchBox Community Forums

RPCS3 with original Dualshock 3 Controllers

SiriusVI

Hello everyone,

over the last few years, I've been on a quest of collecting original controllers for various consoles to be able to play emulated games with them.

Currently I am facing a problem using RPCS3 with original Dualshock 3 Controllers. So here is what I did / tried:

1. I tried DSHidMini, which is almost perfect, but there seems to be a bug with the motion controlls. Here is a video showcasing what I am experiencing: 

• Apparently, the "G axis" does not work with original DS3 controllers (DS4 and DualSense or even Switch Pro Controllers work perfectly, by the way). I originally tried 2 original DS3 controlers with it and both have the same issue / bug with the G axis.
  • However, I recently bought a third DS3 controller and IT actually works. Now I don't know if that last controller is a fake (doesn't look like it, though) and therefore it works somehow or if this controller simply has a different firmware installed on it.
  • If so, I'd like to update the firmware of the other 2 controllers as well, but there seems to no way to do that on windows. Does anyone know if this is possible. I would very much like to update the DS3 using my PC.
  • If not, I am actually considereng buying a PS3 console just to update the controller firmware, buit I don't even know if the PS3 actaully supported controller firmware updates. So my question is: Does anyone know if the controller formware could be updated on a PS3 console?

2. I tried original Sony Drivers for Windows:

• On these drivers, ALL controllers I tried have perfectly functioning Motion Controlls (that's how I know that my controllers aren't broken, by the way).
  • However, these drivers do NOT support Wireless functionality over Bluetooth
  • Also, These drivers are incompatible with certain Windows 11 security settings. I'd have to permanently disable the "Core Isolation" feature, which I don't really want to do.

For more information on this issue, see here: https://github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/issues/14220

tldr: I want to use Dualshock 3 Controllers on RPCS3, but the motion controlls don't work on all of my original DS3 controllers. It might be a firmware issue, so I'd need some information on how to update the controller firmware on a Dualshock 3 controller.

Thx for all your input!

Edited by SiriusVI

I just checked mine with DSHidMini and all axis work.

There are different versions according to this https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/DualShock_3

MicroController Unit (MCU)

QFP package, 80pin

The pinout of the Toshiba T6UN6EFG-003 was traced in a VX4 board. Has not been verifyed if the pinout matches with T6UN6EFG-001 or T6UN6EFG-002 or other boards. It seems the pins can be remapped at bootloder as can be seen in the photos of the PP1 prototype (note the sensors in that photo are connected to pins 77, 78, 79, 80, this doesnt matches with newer dualshocks 3 models). Some people said in most older versions of the controller it was posible to update the controller firmware by USB with a tool that uploads a rom to the controller, this update procedure should be made by using the BT module because all USB connections are managed by it (so in some way it was the BT module the responsible to update the toshiba controller)

Cant remember if updating through PS3 was a thing or not.

Edited by Rlad

16 minutes ago, Rlad said:

I just checked mine with DSHidMini and all axis work.

There are different versions according to this https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/DualShock_3

Cant remember if updating through PS3 was a thing or not.

Hey thx, for checking. And you are absolutely sure that your controller is a legit DS3?

What baffles me is that with the original Sony drivers, motion controlls work on all controllers, while with DSHidMini, two of my controllers have the bugged out G axis. What reason could there be for this behavior?

I've just bought 2 more used DS3 controllers and will check what kind of behavior they show.

Edited by SiriusVI

1 minute ago, Rlad said:

I hope so as it came with my store purchased PS3. 😁

Haha, yeah I guess it's legit. So that  tells me there are some DS3 controllers around that just don't work with the DSHidMini drivers, but only with the original Sony drivers (https://wiki.rpcs3.net/index.php?title=Help:Controller_Configuration)

Using the official Sony Driver

We do not recommend this driver over DsHidMini on Windows. If you're still interested note that with Sony's driver bluetooth functionality will be unavailable. To use RPCS3's dedicated DualShock 3 pad handler with Sony's driver:

1. Disable all third-party tools accessing the DualShock 3 controller (such as ScpToolkit).
  2. Download the DualShock 3 drivers v3.0.0.0 for Windows and install it. [Source]
  3. After completion of the installation, restart your PC.
  4. Connect the controller using a USB cable and press the PS button (in the middle of the pad) to allow the DualShock 3 to start sending reports to RPCS3.
  5. Select RPCS3's dedicated DualShock 3 pad handler in the Gamepad Settings menu.

Why this is, I don't know.

So that means I must try to hunt down 4 DS3 controllers that work. Guess I must buy and sell a few controllers and hope to get lucky =/

20 hours ago, Rlad said:

I hope so as it came with my store purchased PS3. 😁

OK, So another DS3 controller has just arrived and it also has the same issue with the broken G axis. I'm starting to wonder if there is a way to figure out ehat controller will work before I buy them.

Another DS3 controller should arrive shortly and I will test that one, too. let's see.

EDIT: Just to make sure that my PC config is not at fault, I tried all controllers on a separate PC and they show the exact same behavior. So it's not my config that's at fault, either.

EDIT 2: All devices show in DSHidMini as: USB\VID_054C&PID_0268\7&E523A19&0&3

There is no difference.

Edited by SiriusVI