LaunchBox Community Forums

Trouble with Database scraping

Mainiack

I'm currently using Launchbox 12.7 with an expired regular license, meaning no more updates.  I do use the premium features of LB/BB such as Pause Themes and Bigbox etc.  
The issue I experienced began when I imported Laika: Aged Through Blood to the windows platform successfully but was unable to scrape media for it. It is listed on the LB Database but LB would crash repeatedly when searching for Metadata even using copy/paste the game name from the database listing saying, "Object reference not set to an instance." 
I searched the forum and found similar issues and the common solution that always worked was to Force Update Games Metadata Database, which i did, sometimes it wouldn't crash, sometimes it would just say game couldn't be found. Since i knew the game was in the Database and on the platform i persisted. i deleted the game, closed launchbox. Restored data backup reinstalled game .. made no difference. so i went to updates folder and reinstalled my 12.7 version think maybe it was corrupt and Imported game again but still got same error and when it didnt error it showed game not found.
I then download free version 13.11 and imported the game and it immediately scraped and found the ID#. 
So i removed my premium license from my 12.7 folder and installed free 13.11 overtop of 12.7. Imported the game and it scraped perfectly. So I reinstalled my 12.7 from Update folder and put my license back in the folder to get my premium features back.

I solved my problem but i wonder if maybe the Launchbox Team should know about this because i don't know if its an issue on version 12.7 or if its an issue with the database.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 11:57 PM, Mainiack said:

I'm currently using Launchbox 12.7 with an expired regular license, meaning no more updates.  I do use the premium features of LB/BB such as Pause Themes and Bigbox etc.  
The issue I experienced began when I imported Laika: Aged Through Blood to the windows platform successfully but was unable to scrape media for it. It is listed on the LB Database but LB would crash repeatedly when searching for Metadata even using copy/paste the game name from the database listing saying, "Object reference not set to an instance." 
I searched the forum and found similar issues and the common solution that always worked was to Force Update Games Metadata Database, which i did, sometimes it wouldn't crash, sometimes it would just say game couldn't be found. Since i knew the game was in the Database and on the platform i persisted. i deleted the game, closed launchbox. Restored data backup reinstalled game .. made no difference. so i went to updates folder and reinstalled my 12.7 version think maybe it was corrupt and Imported game again but still got same error and when it didnt error it showed game not found.
I then download free version 13.11 and imported the game and it immediately scraped and found the ID#. 
So i removed my premium license from my 12.7 folder and installed free 13.11 overtop of 12.7. Imported the game and it scraped perfectly. So I reinstalled my 12.7 from Update folder and put my license back in the folder to get my premium features back.

I solved my problem but i wonder if maybe the Launchbox Team should know about this because i don't know if its an issue on version 12.7 or if its an issue with the database.

I just wanted to say Thanks.

I had the exact same problem with the metadata search.

So apparently i had to update to version 13.0, To get it to work.

• Game On 1