LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezels Not Showing After Importing ROMS

Muzikarcade

I started a new build of Launchbox (It's been a while since I did this) and I'm trying to get the new Bezel feature to work. When importing the ROMS, I choose to download the bezels, but when I run the game, it loads fine, but no bezels show up. I've tried this on Nintendo and Super Nintendo. Both with the same result.  

Its a bit of a headscratcher, as I don't see being able to do this wrong LOL ... 

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

EB

potentially a flaw of the bezel project. every time you run it to install a new set of bezels it turns OFF overlays which seems the opposite of what you would expect. I just went through a resetup of Retroarch for several platforms and every time I had to turn overlays back on. ie install bezels for platform A, turn on overlays. install bezels for platform B.....overlays are off again.....turn overlays on manually. install bezels for platform C.....overlays are off again......turn overlays on manually, and so on.

@dragon57 is this intended behavior? maybe Retroarch changed something over the years that impacted this? my assumption would be you would want overlays to turn on automatically. also, making assumptions you're the author for the bezel project, so forgive me if I am confused here. I know the OP indicates like they did this through LB running the bezel project, but I see same behavior when running it stand alone downloaded from the github. Referring to this one specifically for Windows https://github.com/thebezelproject/BezelProject-Windows/releases

13 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

Are you talking about installing Bezels with the Bezel Project Windows App, or via LaunchBox?

Windows App. That is at least what I can confirm is seeing this auto turn off overlays behavior.

There have been a handful of users on here recently seeing similar behavior. Some were doing it through LaunchBox. I cannot personally confirm it's doing the same thing with that method, but given the circumstances I would hazard a guess both methods are seeing the same behavior.

3 hours ago, dragon57 said:

The app does not turn that option off, per sec, but it does copy the default retroarch.cfg file, so if you haven't turned that option on and saved that in your default settings, you will see that behavior. 

I see the issue. It copies the default config  Retroarch.cfg as soon as you go into "Process Retroarch" within the app. It takes Retroarch.cfg and turns it into "Retroarch.cfg.bkup" and then populates a brand new version of Retroarch.cfg. So, it does change overlays settings, turning them off, seems counter productive given what the app is.

All I have to do is click "Process Retroarch" within the app and it changes my default config file. I don't even need to actually proceed with downloading and installing the bezels. Some of my custom settings stick, but others, notably input_overlay_enable = "true" is not even found in the newly created Retroarch.cfg. So, this certainly explains the behavior. I did test it just now, making sure 100% that this setting was enabled and present in the default config. I then go into Process Retroarch and it creates the backup file. I then check the contents of the backup file which still has input_overlay_enable = "true" in it. I then check the new default config and it no longer does. (makes some sense....so far at least) Then once the download finishes, another copy happens and I'm now I'm left with the default config and backup config being identical files (same exact contents and file size), except they are both the newly created config file version. as in no input_overlay_enable = "true" is present in either of them. Now we are at the part where it doesn't make sense, to me at least. Surely this is not what any user would want. Your app is changing my settings, in fact, flat out removing the overlay setting from the config rather than just changing its value. My experience with your app seems to contradict your comment. My overlay setting within the default config did not stay saved through processing.

Either way, I really appreciate you taking a moment to respond. Thanks for the explanation!

With that sad, consider it an area for improvement should you ever release a revision. The overlay setting should be getting enabled via your app rather than disabled. If I a missing something obvious and shooting myself in the foot here, like, creating this issue myself then please let me know where I am going wrong and I'll promptly insert my foot into my mouth lol

The app isn't supposed to do that. I will have to do some testing here to see what is going on. The app hasn't changed in a very long time. No one else has mentioned the symptoms, but doesn't mean much in the real world. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will report back.

• Thanks 1