LaunchBox Community Forums

FauxVerticle and rotating images/video

Hey there. So, I have a predicament I would like to resolve. I have a Vertical cab that is Shmup based. Steam/PC shmups have a very small library of games that are compatible with Windows Portrait/vertical display mode. So, because of this, I have been trying to use Landscape mode instead, and just rotate games through the games menus. Problem is, the number of Landscape compatible Vertical themes is very slim...The only one i can find that will actually rotate BigBox through Landscape display is FauxVert made by C-Beats. It says in his notes that all images and videos should be rotated for it to work properly. Is there an easy way to rotate all game videos and images to make it work? All of the images displayed through the theme are flipped sideways, and Videos don't even display. Maybe the theme does not do videos? Thank you!

Edit: I know default theme will flip to vertical if Windows is set to Portrait/vertical, so, if there is a way to rotate the default theme to be viewed verically on a landscape/horizontal windows display setting, let me know. That will absolutely work for me. 

Edited by Rock Hardcheese

1 hour ago, Rock Hardcheese said:

Hey there. So, I have a predicament I would like to resolve. I have a Vertical cab that is Shmup based. Steam/PC shmups have a very small library of games that are compatible with Windows Portrait/vertical display mode. So, because of this, I have been trying to use Landscape mode instead, and just rotate games through the games menus. Problem is, the number of Landscape compatible Vertical themes is very slim...The only one i can find that will actually rotate BigBox through Landscape display is FauxVert made by C-Beats. It says in his notes that all images and videos should be rotated for it to work properly. Is there an easy way to rotate all game videos and images to make it work? All of the images displayed through the theme are flipped sideways, and Videos don't even display. Maybe the theme does not do videos? Thank you!

Edit: I know default theme will flip to vertical if Windows is set to Portrait/vertical, so, if there is a way to rotate the default theme to be viewed verically on a landscape/horizontal windows display setting, let me know. That will absolutely work for me. 

you should probably take pics of your setup because to me its not making any sense.  Rotation is typically handled via windows display settings.

Posted (edited)

20240315_062127.jpg

20240315_062338.jpg

20240315_064136.jpg

20240315_063943.jpg

So, as you can see above, this is the problem with some Steam/PC shmups. They are incompatible with 9:16 displays/portrait/vertical displays. They do have the options to rotate the game in menu, but it assumed your screen is default 16:9/Landscape/horizontal, and you'd physically flip the screen. Triangle Service shmups being the biggest Offender.

20240315_064243.jpg

20240315_064349.jpg

This is what Vertical Aspirations (my favorite and so far best vertical theme) and default theme look when 9:16/Portrait/vertical.

20240315_064446.jpg

20240315_064522.jpg

20240315_064543.jpg

This is what Vertical Aspirations and default theme look like on 16:9/Landscape/horizontal.

20240315_064741.jpg

This image is FauxVert. This theme has the right idea. The display is still 9:16/portrait/vertical, along with the control mapping, but the Windows setting is 16:9/landscape/horizontal...so by having this function, I could keep the display settings in 16:9/Landscape/horizontal while having a functional 9:16/vertical front-end which totally remedies the Steam/PC shmup game problem.....BUT the problem with FauxVert is two things. According to its notes I'd have to flip ALL images to fit (that's 200 games) and also, it doesn't seem to display videos, but if it does, that means I'd have to flip my videos as well.

So, what I am asking is, is there any way to Rotate the controls and lay-out of Default to work 9:16/vertical on 16:9/landscape/horizontal display settings? I'd more so rather use Vertical Aspirations like that, but I would be satisfied with Default. They both work vertically, that is 100% known, but windows diplay settings HAVE to be Portait mode. 

I guess one more example is, I would like the function of what the offending shmups can do...A setting that allows a 90 degree rotation of the front-end, display and control-wise, while the screen is horizontal.

20240315_064405.jpg

Edited by Rock Hardcheese

It's been quite some time since I built the theme, but as I recall FauxVert DOES play video. That being said you're right in that the video's need prepped. I had a script I ran via a video editor and did all mine in bulk, it wasn't a manual process at all. I didn't ultimately use that theme and just use portrait mode on my vert cab. I don't have any Steam games that don't play in TATE mode on that cab and so haven't really ran into too many issues. Most emulated titles that aren't vertical just use a bezel I found online to fill the dead space in the screen.

21 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

It's been quite some time since I built the theme, but as I recall FauxVert DOES play video. That being said you're right in that the video's need prepped. I had a script I ran via a video editor and did all mine in bulk, it wasn't a manual process at all. I didn't ultimately use that theme and just use portrait mode on my vert cab. I don't have any Steam games that don't play in TATE mode on that cab and so haven't really ran into too many issues. Most emulated titles that aren't vertical just use a bezel I found online to fill the dead space in the screen.

I appreciate the response. I also appreciate the effort you put into FauxVert. It would be a great template to use to solve these problems. It is essentially what I want in the post for Default and Vertical Aspirations. I don't have programming experience, or video image editing experience or anything like that, so I am pretty stuck. I do not know how to bulk video edit or bulk image edit, sadly. 

If you want to know the games I'm having problems with, they are:

Raiden III mikado maniax

Bullet Soul

Hikato Doujin published games

And EVERY Triangle Services games. It's displayed in the images above. They are always sandwiched. It's like they never accounted for portrait mode, ever.

There may be more off my head, but at this moment I can't recall.

If you need to know the best shmups that are compatible with Portrait mode, they are: 

Dodonpachi collection

Ikaruga

Crimson Clover

City Connection published games (though I am having a problem with them starting in the background, rather than starting jn the foreground)

Raiden Dx collection

All of the BitWave vertical catalog.

And Castle Shikagami (though, like city connection games, runs in the background of the front-end).

DanMaku works, but it always pops up a config window, which makes using keyboard to start the game essential. 

Issue you're going to run into is that simply rotating everything just doesn't really work. To make that horizontal gameplay fill the screen you'd either need to stretch the window (would look horrible) OR zoom in on the playfield (and lose sight on a LOT of the left/right play field. My use case rotating worked because the video was just a virtual pinball playfield where the entire playfield was in the 16:9 frame, so I just had to rotate it 90deg. You can't really do that with most videos/gameplay.