LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch overrides won't let me save configuration

CapSwey

Hi,

I'm very happy with LB and a lot of time and effort are spared by the automatic import and save settings. Especially  if you are new in retrogaming, like myself.
At the moment I have pretty much setup all systems and roms the way I preffer. Including the proper artwork, control configs etc. There is one thing I can't get to work and I was wondering if you guys can help me out.

With emulating SNES/Super Famicom games, I prefer to use the SNES9x libreto in RetroArch. The problem is I need to change the video output from "gl" to "vulcan" for using *.slangp shaders.
If I want to save the video output, which is needed because RetroArch needs to reboot to make the changes stick, I'm getting the message that changes has not been saved because of "overrides". 

How can I override this overrides? or is there an easier or better way to test this slang shaders?

Cheers for all the help! 

it's telling you the problem, you cannot save to the main config with an active override. so, turn off the override before saving! or make the save before loading any content, as in before making any override active!

think about it. if you could save to the main config with an active override, then your overrides become part of the main config. and that's not an override anymore because it's now default settings. it was designed like this to stop users from turning overrides into default settings.

you're clearly trying to save at the main config menu since you get that error message. which means you're trying to make vulcan used at a global level. not sure if you wanted it global or not so pointing that out. if you want it at whatever level your override is, then you just change the setting and then update the override. if you used core override then use save a core override again for ex.

Thanks a lot skizzosjt!

It indeed made me realize I needed a different approach. 
my solution now was to change to vulkan in video settings, then return to quick settings/overrides. There I made a new override for this core. Now the slang shaders where available. 
it was definitely worth my while, not only for the shaders, but also to get a better understanding of RetroArch. 

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

• Like 1

very nice!

if you want to get into details then you should read up on the docs. here is the override page link

https://docs.libretro.com/guides/overrides/

this is one of the main take aways you want to know. the order of precedence of the config and overrides

Load retroarch.cfg

• Apply <name-of-core>.cfg & <name-of-core>.rmp override
    • Apply <name-of-content-directory>.cfg & <name-of-content-directory>.rmp override
      • Apply <name-of-game>.cfg & <name-of-game>.rmp override

you can even apply shaders at global, core, directory, or game level.

it gets pretty deep in customizing options for almost every parameter available in Retroarch.

Thanks a lot again skizzosjt!
That documentation is very handy indeed. I've just setup some shaders on core and some on directory level (since GB and GBC use the same core in my case). 
Going through my entire library as we speak, great stuff!