LaunchBox Community Forums

How to properly delete an entire category?

Hiddenpalm

This is for desktop. Let's say I want to delete my entire collection of Final Burn Neo roms, including all the art work and extras, to make room for something else. What would be the most pro way of doing that that doesn't leave behind all the extra media Launchbox found for it?

In Launchbox select the platform you want to remove select all the games (control + a) and delete. Then close Launchbox and navigate to the Launchbox folder, then in the images and video sub folders delete the platform folders for those media types.

27 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

In Launchbox select the platform you want to remove select all the games (control + a) and delete. Then close Launchbox and navigate to the Launchbox folder, then in the images and video sub folders delete the platform folders for those media types.

I tried that, I dont think it works like that anymore. When you select the category, "ctrl A" doesnt do anything. But if you right click on it, there is a delete option. And when you click on it, you get a warning that it will also delete all associated media files with it. So I did that. Then I checked the image and video folders for Final Burn Neo, and all files were deleted, but the empty folders remained. So I left that the folders there. But the rom folder was not deleted. That I had to do manually. But it appears that Launchbox now deletes the media files for you automatically.

Thanks for the reply. It led me in the right direction.

According to the latest Launchbox tutorial video, "Automatic ROM Imports - LaunchBox Tutorial", that came out yesterday, you can also configure the delete option to include deleting roms ontop of the videos and images it will already automatically delete.

The tutorial instructs to go to Tools > Options > General > Click on "Allow deleting ROMs when deleting games"

So it appears that now all you have to do is make sure the above is enabled, go to the category you want to delete, right click on it and delete. I assume it will also work with individual games.

Yesterday I asked Pi.ai the same question, and she was also saying how to do it the old way. I should probably tell her as well. But I doubt she will remember in a week, or until she processes this forum.