LaunchBox Community Forums

Safe way to update RetroArch in LaunchBox?

Reaper978

I’d like to upgrade RetroArch in LaunchBox but I don’t want anything to go wrong. I’ve only recently managed to grasp what RetroArch actually is.

One other question. How does one set up filters and shaders in MAME? i’d like to use something that makes the screen look like a real arcade screen. Thanks 😊 

I cant help with updating Retroarch through LB, I have never done it. I install and update Retroarch manually.

As for Mame stand alone shaders I use my personal HLSL settings which I think gives a very good look overall. Getting something that looks "perfect" for every game is an impossible task since there were so many different display types and resolutions.
You can find my settings and how to use them here:

Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2024 at 10:54 AM, Lordmonkus said:

I cant help with updating Retroarch through LB, I have never done it. I install and update Retroarch manually.

As for Mame stand alone shaders I use my personal HLSL settings which I think gives a very good look overall. Getting something that looks "perfect" for every game is an impossible task since there were so many different display types and resolutions.
You can find my settings and how to use them here:

I put the raster.ini in the \Mame\ini\presets folder.  There was also another file in the download called vector.ini.  I just put them both in the \Mame\ini\presets folder. I backed up the old ones.  The HLSL effect doesn't show up when running in BigBox, it only works when I manually run MAME and select the game that I want.  It's a really cool effect, I hope there's a way to get it working in BigBox.

Btw, are there any other resources that have custom HLSL MAME shaders? I’d like to try some out and see what I prefer.

Edited by Reaper978