LaunchBox Community Forums

Larger additional apps menu with smaller text?

I authored a custom theme for Big Box  a few years back but I don't remember much about the process apart from mostly using the Community editor with a few files edited manually.

Most of the time when I'm browsing additional versions of a game, I can't read the full filename because the font size is so large and the menu is so small. Is there a way to change this, or a file I can pull from another theme that does?

Edited by chinagreenelvis

9 minutes ago, chinagreenelvis said:

Just to clarify - the pop up menu here which truncates the entries; I'd like to get rid of that truncation and see the entire name of each option.

image.thumb.png.4b485e04ff9f457065a5d939a851d43f.png

with the photo it doesn't look like text is truncated. is this just an example to clarify what pop up menu you were talking about?

or is this in fact the bit you want to change? As in you want to change "Play (USA) (Disc 1) Version..." to something like "Play Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (USA) (Disc 1)" ?

That file doesn't exist anywhere in my installation, but it looks like the behavior is probably goverened by "TextTrimming=" and "TextWrapping=" so I suppose it's down to trial and error with different xaml files.

If anyone knows the name of the file I'm looking for in LaunchBox 12.9, appreciated.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, skizzosjt said:

or is this in fact the bit you want to change? As in you want to change "Play (USA) (Disc 1) Version..." to something like "Play Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (USA) (Disc 1)" ?

Correct, the top-most popup menu. I want to remove the ellipses and wrap the titles. Just not sure which file to edit.

if you made a theme with CTC it wouldn't have produced this file to my knowledge. your custom theme would instead use the default theme's version of the file since the custom one never produces it ........I think at least lol (could be wrong! not at PC to confirm)

at the very least, even if a custom theme doesn't have it the default theme should. go into the default theme folder and snag the file from there. you can then edit it accordingly to your liking. as you likely know already, must be done by hand since CTC doesn't support that specific view file to be edited through it's GUI. if incorporated into a CTC theme it would go into the custom theme's views folder. but....I don't think this is what you're looking for now that you clarified that for me....

1 minute ago, chinagreenelvis said:

Correct, the top-most popup menu. I want to remove the ellipses and wrap the titles. Just not sure which file to edit.

the text you see, for ex, "Play (USA) (Disc 1) Version..." is the default text that gets used by LaunchBox for "Versions". The "(USA) (Disc 1)" part is found in the file name so what is stuffed in there for this specific example. The format is like "Play <text found in parenthesis here>  Version..."

you need to edit the individual entries and change that text in the Additional Applications tab (additional versions are in here). I don't know of any good way to automate that. 10sec job for a single entry.....but if you want to do it on a large scale I'm not aware of a plugin that does this.

I get the reasoning for this format as it would have been centered around ROM versions. USA, Japan, Europe, etc for example. So you would see "Play (USA) Version...." and then below that "Play (Japan) Version...." and so on. But I'm assuming you want to see the entire game name there, and therefore think text is getting cut off due to it not being there.  The full filename will not appear here due to the nature of how LaunchBox fills in these fields by default, so a user would need to edit them after the fact.

so to be clear the ellipses are literally part of the text string, nothing is actually being truncated. I think you instead need to edit those text strings.

Posted (edited)

Oh, wow, you're right - "Version..." is just being added onto the end during the import/combine process. That really threw me off. I have no need to see the full game title in that list.

Additionally, I am able to make the text wrap in that window for games with longer versions (usually translations), but I did a full find/replace for every file in a copy of the default theme so I'm still not sure exactly which file handles it. I'll figure it out eventually just replacing them one at a time with the defaults.

But now the OCD in me wants "Version..." removed from those lists, LOL.

For anyone interested, in 12.9 the file is MenuItemView, and the xaml file contents are changed to the following in order to wrap the contents:

<UserControl xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
    xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
    xmlns:mc="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/markup-compatibility/2006"
    xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/expression/blend/2008"
    mc:Ignorable="d"
    d:DesignHeight="300"
    d:DesignWidth="300"
    HorizontalAlignment="Stretch"
    MaxWidth="{Binding ActualWidth, RelativeSource={RelativeSource AncestorType={x:Type ListBox}}}"
    FocusVisualStyle="{x:Null}">
    <Border Name="Border" Width="{Binding ActualWidth, RelativeSource={RelativeSource AncestorType={x:Type ListBox}}}">
        <TextBlock Name="Text" TextTrimming="None" TextWrapping="WrapWithOverflow" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" />
    </Border>
</UserControl>

@chinagreenelvis yes that would have been my suggestion too with find and replacing "Version...". easy fix there!

now if that was my theme I'd still be wanting to avoid text wrap all together and go after the first fix idea, make it wider and or text smaller. as suggested by C-beats it is in the SelectedOptionPopupView.xaml view file. specifically is found on line 20 of the view file in the default theme. here is that line with the surrounding lines

<Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
            <ColumnDefinition Width="2*"/>
            <ColumnDefinition Width="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='1000'}"/>
            <ColumnDefinition Width="2*"/>
        </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>

change the value for ConverterParameter to change the overall width of the pop up window.

for changing font size it is on line 118. here is that line with surrounding lines

<Grid>
                                                            <Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
                                                                <ColumnDefinition Width="1*"/>
                                                                <ColumnDefinition Width="80*" />
                                                            </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
                                                            <Border x:Name="SelectedBorder" Grid.Column="0" CornerRadius="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='5.5'}" Background="Transparent" BorderThickness="0"/>
                                                            <TextBlock HorizontalAlignment="Stretch"
                                                                Grid.Column="1"
                                                                VerticalAlignment="{TemplateBinding VerticalContentAlignment}"
                                                                Text="{Binding DisplayString}"
                                                                Padding="{TemplateBinding Padding}"
                                                                FontFamily="{TemplateBinding FontFamily}"
                                                                SnapsToDevicePixels="True"
                                                                TextTrimming="CharacterEllipsis" 
                                                                TextWrapping="NoWrap"
                                                                Foreground="White"
                                                                FontSize="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='35'}"
                                                                Margin="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='15,15,0,15'}"/>
                                                        </Grid>

change ConverterParameter value for the line that starts with FontSize