LaunchBox Community Forums

eXo DOS - Setup

Bobins

eXoDOS comes with Launchbox prepackaged and instructions on how to merge it with other instances of eXo. However, I was wondering if there's a guide/video showing how to merge eXo DOS 6 into a currently installed version of launchbox?

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)

eXo did put out this video a few months back for v6 merging.

It doesn't specifically show how to merge into an existing launchbox setup though.

I just merged all my exoDOS installs into one following this video and then the merged the same content into my current launchbox setup. I do believe it will overwrite something with currently existing platforms if you already have them in your setup. Though I am not sure exactly how that problem works as I did it with a fairly new Launchbox install.

Edited by JereBear
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JereBear said:

eXo did put out this video a few months back for v6 merging.

It doesn't specifically show how to merge into an existing launchbox setup though.

I just merged all my exoDOS installs into one and then the merged the same content into my current launchbox setup. I do believe it will overwrite something with currently existing platforms if you already have them in your setup. Though I am not sure exactly how that problem works as I did it with a fairly new Launchbox install.

So how do you do it mate? just cut and paste it into the folders?

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, goofers said:

So how do you do it mate? just cut and paste it into the folders?

The video does a good job showing the process.

Just cut and paste a few folders from each eXo install (Win3x, ScummVM, DREAMM etc) into the main exoDOS folder. 

Run launchbox from the exoDOS folder to make sure they were all showing correctly there.

And then I copied the combined folders, (the ones that were previously copied) from the main eXoDOS folder into my launchbox folder.

*My roms are on a separate drive than my Launchbox install so I did move the 'eXo' folder elsewhere and created a symlink to my Launchbox install to keep all my games together.

I take no responsibility if anything gets screwed up.

Edited by JereBear
  • Like 2

I'm a little skeptical, as this may (or may not) overwrite themes, config or INI files that I already have installed. I appreciate that the video show how to merge eXo with eXo, but what I need is a solution to merging eXo (and it's launchbox files if needed) with my current launchbox. I've spet a fair amount of time setting setting up my current launchbox, and don't want to overwrite something I may regret.

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate them.

As stated... All eXo builds ARE LaunchBox builds... any tutorial that helps with one helps with the other... The only thing that requires any amount of potential maneuvering is when the eXo collection is using a platform by the same name as one in your collection (This typically occurs with the MS-DOS platform since GOG can already import to that platform). If they don't it's simply a matter of moving the appropriate data files and eXo dependencies to the new LB directory. If they do you need to change either the existing platform or the eXo platform before doing the migration. As far as LaunchBox is concerned you'd want to migrate the following folders from the eXo build to the new one.

\\LaunchBox\Data\Platforms
\\LaunchBox\Data\Playlists
\\LaunchBox\Images
\\LaunchBox\Videos
\\LaunchBox\Manuals

Data backups are fairly simple to restore via in app so those concerns are easily corrected if something goes awry. We don't auto backup the media folders and so ensuring you aren't overwriting any files in that process is a bit more critical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

As stated... All eXo builds ARE LaunchBox builds... any tutorial that helps with one helps with the other... The only thing that requires any amount of potential maneuvering is when the eXo collection is using a platform by the same name as one in your collection (This typically occurs with the MS-DOS platform since GOG can already import to that platform). If they don't it's simply a matter of moving the appropriate data files and eXo dependencies to the new LB directory. If they do you need to change either the existing platform or the eXo platform before doing the migration. As far as LaunchBox is concerned you'd want to migrate the following folders from the eXo build to the new one.

\\LaunchBox\Data\Platforms
\\LaunchBox\Data\Playlists
\\LaunchBox\Images
\\LaunchBox\Videos
\\LaunchBox\Manuals

Data backups are fairly simple to restore via in app so those concerns are easily corrected if something goes awry. We don't auto backup the media folders and so ensuring you aren't overwriting any files in that process is a bit more critical.

Thanks for that. I have somethign to work with now that you've mentioned the folders above. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Just figured that I would add onto what CBeats said... eXo has a section in the FAQ on his website about integrating his collections into an existing LB Build. Ill just quote the section below...

Q: Can I merge an eXo project into my existing launchbox install? Can I merge multiple eXo projects into the same LaunchBox install?

Yes! And it is quite easy. Visit our YouTube page for an instructional video, or follow these steps:
1. Ensure the project has been installed by running the SETUP.bat file
2. Copy the following folders to your target LaunchBox folder from your project folder
.\eXo\
.\Images\
.\Manuals\
.\Plugins\
.\xml\
.\data\Platforms\
.\data\Playlists\
3. Copy the following file to your target LaunchBox folder from your project folder
\data\Parents.xml
4. When you start launchbox, please allow it to update.
5. You should now have your eXo projects merged together or merged with your parent LaunchBox folder.

For further help, please visit our help and support channel at the projects Discord server.

Edit: just wanted to point out that if you have a large collection, I WOULD NOT over ride step 3, just copy whats in parents.xml into your existing Parents.xml. Everything except for the beginning and ending Launchbox tags.

Edited by Retro_Rage
  • Like 1