LaunchBox Community Forums

Deducting the cause that slow down LB/BB startup time if number of playlist increases

Posted (edited)

I've been wondering what is the actual cause that slows down Launchbox/BigBox start up time when the number of playlist increases. I'm still unsure if it is the dynamic playlist (autoplaylist) or static playlist that cause the issue.

If it is the former (slowdown as dynamic playlists increases ), it's probably because it always populate the entries in all autoplaylist by looking up the database, then filter it on-the-fly. Implementation wise it could be better and give the user a choice whether to repopulate those dynamic playlist entries every time it boots up, or reuse the cache instead. For huge multisystem (>200k) game titles and didn't have frequent game update, I would rather use the cache instead of having it populate it from the fresh each time it boots up. Even in the case of any game update, I would rather populate those entries in dynamic playlist explicitly instead of having the system do it for me everytime.

If it is the latter (slowdown as static playlists increases), I really have no idea why it might slows down, as everything should be statically read from a previous generated database entries.

Would probably need LB developer to clarify on this. This issue had caused me to limit my current dynamic playlists to less than 50 for an acceptable startup time.

For reference, other front end like PinUp Popper doesn't have this slowdown issue even with 100+ of automatic playlists.

Edited by dsync89

The cache system of auto-pop playlists has been altered a few times since I've been on team, but I've not been the person who changed the code so I don't really remember where we landed regarding WHEN/IF we cache the return set of an auto-populated playlist. I do know we had that issue in the past, but pretty sure we removed the startup cache of those playlists a while ago. What are your startup times looking like, and which app are you seeing it with? I have a build that has 2680 auto-populate playlists and I don't see any impact to my startup time. I admit I don't have as many game records as you in that build though and am only around 17k.