LaunchBox Community Forums

RA MAME - Won't Launch the Correct Version

Hi All.  This is a noob post so will probably be a howler, but it's driving me nuts so if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Most of my MAME games wont work / launch.  I've noticed that if I right-click them and select 'Play Version' I can normally find one on there that will launch, but when I play the games in MAME or RetroArch outside of LaunchBox (or Big Box) it knows what's available and I can just launch them without any problems.  Of course, my first thought is "how can it actually know what ones are working", but then again MAME / RetroArch does.

I've attached some screenshots to show my setup for the emulator, but it's a 2003+ rom set and I believe it's set up correctly.

Screenshot2024-06-15212847.thumb.png.411cf1d6033be8ec537fa20677d590ea.png

Screenshot2024-06-15212902.thumb.png.57f4e4784910b9cbff7eedb00ece7763.png

I suspect the easy answer to this is to get a proper complete MAME rom set, but this is what I currently have.  It just feels like there's a way of making this work, but I'll fall on my sword if that's more hassle than it's worth!  Thank you.

Edited by RetroGoat

Yeah, MAME ROMs need to be launched with the matching MAME version. There are sets out there to correspond to the version of MAME/RA MAME core you're trying to use but all of it is a bigger pain than simply having a set and emulator of the same version. Outside of that you'll be just chasing issues left and right.

• Like 1

Outside of that you'll be just chasing issues left and right.

Thank you for being brutally honest (and for putting a reply out)!  That's exactly what I needed.  I'd hoped to use a slimmed down set of the arcade games as I used the ones that came on a Kinhank drive, but (like you say) I think it's going to be a lot more trouble than it's worth!

3 hours ago, RetroGoat said:

Thank you for being brutally honest (and for putting a reply out)!  That's exactly what I needed.  I'd hoped to use a slimmed down set of the arcade games as I used the ones that came on a Kinhank drive, but (like you say) I think it's going to be a lot more trouble than it's worth!

see this post on easiest way to keep a current MAME set:

• Like 1

Just as an update (and more importantly, a thank you), I imported a proper rom set last night and everything now works perfectly.  I'll try not to go off-piste next time and just do things the proper way!