LaunchBox Community Forums

How to Prevent LaunchBox from Opening Multiple RetroArch Instances?

TECHNOROGERIO

Hi guys. Every time I open a new game, LaunchBox opens a new RetroArch window instead of using the same one. Is there a way to open just one instance of RetroArch, or will it always open a new window each time I start a new game? If I play 10 games, I will have 10 instances of RetroArch open instead of using the one that was already open.

8 minutes ago, TECHNOROGERIO said:

Hi guys. Every time I open a new game, LaunchBox opens a new RetroArch window instead of using the same one. Is there a way to open just one instance of RetroArch, or will it always open a new window each time I start a new game? If I play 10 games, I will have 10 instances of RetroArch open instead of using the one that was already open.

When you exit a game, RetroArch should close.  Then, back in LaunchBox you start a new [2nd] game, a fresh instance of RetroArch should then open.

Sounds like when you exit a game, it's not closing RetroArch.  Is that what's happening?

7 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

When you exit a game, RetroArch should close.  Then, back in LaunchBox you start a new [2nd] game, a fresh instance of RetroArch should then open.

Sounds like when you exit a game, it's not closing RetroArch.  Is that what's happening?

Hi JoeViking245. So, I open LaunchBox, choose a game, and click Play. RetroArch opens and I start playing. With RetroArch still open, I choose another game in LaunchBox and click Play again, and this new game opens a second instance of RetroArch instead of using the one that's already open.

13 minutes ago, TECHNOROGERIO said:

Hi JoeViking245. So, I open LaunchBox, choose a game, and click Play. RetroArch opens and I start playing. With RetroArch still open, I choose another game in LaunchBox and click Play again, and this new game opens a second instance of RetroArch instead of using the one that's already open.

That's how it should work. 

In fact, with some other configurating (window sizing/moving and a couple emulator settings) that's how you can setup to use multi-player.  In the end, say you wanted 2 players, your display would have 2 RetroArch windows side-by-side with the left being player one and the right, player 2.  Great for racing games.  I've seen it work with up to a 4x4 grid for 4 players.  Kind of lame on a monitor, but pretty cool on a big screen tv or using a projector.

Curious, why not just exit the [1st] game instead of switching back to LaunchBox?  Either takes the same number of steps.  (just one, if I'm not mistaken)

4 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

That's how it should work. 

In fact, with some other configurating (window sizing/moving and a couple emulator settings) that's how you can setup to use multi-player.  In the end, say you wanted 2 players, your display would have 2 RetroArch windows side-by-side with the left being player one and the right, player 2.  Great for racing games.  I've seen it work with up to a 4x4 grid for 4 players.  Kind of lame on a monitor, but pretty cool on a big screen tv or using a projector.

Curious, why not just exit the [1st] game instead of switching back to LaunchBox?  Either takes the same number of steps.  (just one, if I'm not mistaken)

So, I am doing live streams using OBS Studio, and every time a new instance of RetroArch opens, OBS doesn't capture it because it's a different window. So I have to go to OBS and change the window source to the new game window. I want to save this work by having LaunchBox use the same already open RetroArch window.

8 minutes ago, TECHNOROGERIO said:

So, I am doing live streams using OBS Studio, and every time a new instance of RetroArch opens, OBS doesn't capture it because it's a different window. So I have to go to OBS and change the window source to the new game window. I want to save this work by having LaunchBox use the same already open RetroArch window.

Ya, that's beyond me.  Sorry.  Unless you can [somehow] tell OBS to capture based on window Title (something like "RetroArch*", or "StartsWith("RetroArch")"). 

Maybe someone who does live streams in the manner you're talking can chime in.  

13 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Ya, that's beyond me.  Sorry.  Unless you can [somehow] tell OBS to capture based on window Title (something like "RetroArch*", or "StartsWith("RetroArch")"). 

Maybe someone who does live streams in the manner you're talking can chime in.  

I tried changing the OBS settings as you mentioned, but it only captures when I close a RetroArch window; then it captures the new window, which creates a blank space before the game starts. Thanks for your help, JoeViking. Thank you very much.

Typically what you would do is a combination of two things. You'd do as JoeViking suggests and make OBS capture based on window title. You'd then also just set up a few different OBS scenes. When you're transitioning between games switch to a scene that isn't dependent on that window until RetroArch is open, and then switch the scene back.