LaunchBox Community Forums

Fullscreen all of a sudden not truly fullscreen

5thWolf

Fullscreen has always been fine and all of a sudden its not truly full screen. Has half the windows bar at the top. My settings have been untouched for a very long time!

Screenshot2024-08-12050245.thumb.png.6b34172cf9ff3ded975cdd026bc9ff3e.png

my settings:
Fullscreen=true
Output=openglnb
fullresolution=0x0
aspect=false

I tried all the renders (though some don't do true fullscreen) and scalers (doubt this has anything to do with it) and Desktop vs 0x0 res, all the same. 
Does DB have a true FS vs a Borderless FS?
Any ideas or anyone else having this issue?

Edited by 5thWolf

• 2 weeks later...

I did notice this has also be happening after Windows 24h2 update. Though I can't confirm its related.
I have not touched the DB version.
I did try running games under D-Fend Reloaded an  & DOSBox Game Launcher just incase there was an underlining setting somehow and they are both the same. So I doubt its a general setting issue.
Crazy how one day its all perfectly fullscreen then all of a sudden its not without touch any settings for the frontend or DB.

Posted (edited)

Ok I busted out my laptop and tried running a game and it is perfectly full screen, so definitely not a DOSBox or DB Game Launcher issue!
So this has to be a Windows or nVidia setting. I tried messing with several options both in Windows and nVidia (especially scaling settings) but nothing!

Edited by 5thWolf

32 minutes ago, 5thWolf said:

Ok I busted out my laptop and tried running a game and it is perfectly full screen, so definitely not a DOSBox or DB Game Launcher issue!
So this has to be a Windows or nVidia setting. I tried messing with several options both in Windows and nVidia (especially scaling settings) but nothing!

Does it change it if you press Alt+Enter?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 5thWolf said:

Yes. It goes back and forth from smaller window to the messed up fullscreen like it should.

Options:

• Maybe try a different 'output'?  Like opengl (vs openglnb)
  • I don't see Fullscreen res=0x0 as an option?  Try fullresolution=0x0.  (And should it be 0x0?)

Start from scratch:

• Try renaming dosbox.conf (old-dosbox.conf) so it doesn't pick it up? Run (don't make changes), then close DOSBox.exe to generate a fresh one.

Last resort:

Of all else fails (above, and anything else you might think of) you could take the brute force approach

If using the integrated DOSBox, since there isn't an emulator to add a Running Script to, you'd need an Additional App for the games.  The AutoHotkey script to use would be something (possibly 'exactly') like:

Process, Wait, dosbox.exe
Sleep, 2000
WinSet, Style, -0xC00000, A
  • wait for the DOSBox process to exist
  • give it 2 seconds to 'fully wake up'.  (can adjust this, more or less)
  • Set the window style to remove (the - [minus] symbol) the title bar (0xC00000)
  • Like 1

Sorry fixed the res typo. I did try "desktop" and "0x0" and both had same result.
Those two as far as I can tell are the same thing, telling DB to be at the desktop resolution. Evan in the forums they use both. The dev refers to 0x0 most of the time. 

I tried a wipe of the config file in DB. No changes.

I would like to avoid using the autoscript since none of my other PCs have an issue with running DB/games. They all run perfect full screen. it is just my PC which prompts me to believe now that is strictly a Windows or nVidia setting problem.
Oh and I am running DB Game Launcher and DB portable through mapped drive. So every computer is running the exact same program. Tried on my laptop and son's computer. All working perfectly.

8 minutes ago, 5thWolf said:

So every computer is running the exact same program.

That would have been good to know. lol  Seriously though, I can't see NVidia causing it to not strip the title bar.  But you could try updating its drivers.  If you do, I recommend using NVCleanstall (spelled funny. But that's what it's called).   

Early on in DOSBox evolution, the title bar issue was deemed a Windows thing.  If you're running Windows 11, the issue may be back.  The again, you said the issue appeared "all of a sudden".

21 minutes ago, 5thWolf said:

I would like to avoid using the autoscript

Agreed.  And you really shouldn't "have to".

My last last-resort suggestion would be to try DOSBox-X (if you're not using it already).

• Like 1

I did do the full reinstall of drivers and before that did clean install. No change.

But my windows is now 24h2, and that happens to be when the issues started.

I will try to put my laptop on 24h2 and see if same thing happens.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

My last last-resort suggestion would be to try DOSBox-X (if you're not using it already).

I have been using DB 0.74-3. I did try DB-X a while back and loved how it does fullscreen to be 100% (stretch) unlike DB that has a little bit of black bars on the sides. But I wanted to utilize at first was D-Fend Reloaded to track and easily set up games.
If DB-X can be used in DBGL I definitely would switch it. Will take a peak.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been able to get my laptop to update to 24h2, even after doing Windows Insider program like I did  for my PC. But considering my PC was just fine until this update I still think it was this update.
I did retry DB-X and had no issues at all. The 100% full screen with stretch is perfect. I am using DOSBox Game Launcher and I didn't have to change anything other then pointing to the new shortcuts to launch the games.
Incase anyone having this issue wanted an alternative solution.

• Game On 1