LaunchBox Community Forums

Scan for Added ROMs seems to be taking ages recently

Since maybe the last couple of versions of LB I've noticed that performing a Scan for Added ROMs (just for a single platform) is taking ages (several minutes) whereas previously it'd only take a few seconds. It even takes several minutes when there's literally only half a dozen files in the folder. It's as if it's scanning the whole drive for added ROMs, not just the \Games\platform subfolder. Is it just me?

Thanks for flagging this folks, I've run some tests on my own instance but unfortunately am not seeing what you're describing as the scan takes less than a couple of seconds. That said, there are a bunch of variables that could be causing this so let's try and narrow it down

• What LB version are you using? I'm assuming the latest 13.15?
  • Is your `Games` directory located within your LaunchBox directory, or is it stored somewhere outside of this location?
  • Do you experience slowness when scanning for additional ROMs, even if there aren't any new ROMs present? Or is it only when there are new ROMs present?
  • Are there any differences when scanning for different platforms? I'm assuming not, as you mentioned it's still slow on platforms with a small number of games, but would be good to confirm
  • What is your total game count roughly?
  • Finally, to completely rule out any version issues, if you update to the latest beta (currently 13.16-3) do you experience the same issue? 

Let me know and we'll try to get to the bottom of this. 

Hi @AstroBob, here's my answers:

• What LB version are you using? I'm assuming the latest 13.15? - I think the issue might have started around 13.14-ish, but persists with 13.15 and even 13.16b3 (I have another issue around PS Vita imports and C-Beats advised I try the beta).
  • Is your `Games` directory located within your LaunchBox directory, or is it stored somewhere outside of this location? - It is immediately inside the LaunchBox folder, yes
  • Do you experience slowness when scanning for additional ROMs, even if there aren't any new ROMs present? Or is it only when there are new ROMs present? - yes even if there are no new ROMs present it would take a long time
  • Are there any differences when scanning for different platforms? I'm assuming not, as you mentioned it's still slow on platforms with a small number of games, but would be good to confirm - please see below...
  • What is your total game count roughly? - 50k
  • Finally, to completely rule out any version issues, if you update to the latest beta (currently 13.16-3) do you experience the same issue? - yes am currently running 13.16b3 with the issue

Interestingly, after running a Scan for a platform at random (Jaguar CD with only 14 games - and it taking approx. 3 minutes to complete, with no results as expected) when I go to scan another platform, it finished almost immediately. When I scan Jaguar CD again, it finished almost immediately. So it almost looks like the first scan takes an unusual amount of time. It does say "searching for additional ROMs" with an active progress bar during the 3 minutes or so.

I have tried closing LB, making sure it is definitely closed, reopening and rescanning Jaguar CD, and it was immediate again. Perhaps tomorrow (or whenever there's a metadata update?) it'll take an initial 3 minutes again... I've added a reminder to try this again in 3 days time, and post back here.

Edited by EvoluZion3
Wrong font colours

Hey @EvoluZion3 thanks so much for the additional data points there. We're both running similar builds then (same version, game folder location etc) but the only different is mine is only around 2.5k games. 

Interesting that after the initial process, it's now completed in seconds, that makes me think it could be building some kind of file comparison table under the hood which it uses to compare to. 

I'm going to talk to the team to try and understand a bit more about what this process is checking for under the hood, and in the meantime do let me know how it runs today and throughout the week. If it reverts to the 3 minute scan it sounds likely that the initial comparison could be whats taking the time here. 

Keep me posted, and I'll keep you posted 😃

Hi @AstroBob, I've reopened LB for the first time since I last posted, did another Scan for Added Jaguar CD ROMs, and it took 284 seconds (I counted them!). Did a scan on two other platforms, and it took a couple of seconds.

It does look like it's doing a full scan the first time you do it after (24/48?) hours, but I wonder if it's necessary seeing as normally you would only be scanning the specific platform's subfolder...

Hi @EvoluZion3 

Sorry for the delayed response here, but I have some information that might help us narrow things down. 

So, I can confirm the hypothesis that the scan process being different after a certain period is actually not the case. Under the hood, the scan process is the same every single time, there is no caching of information the first time, it is simply checking for differences compared to the current platform metadata.

I realise that isn't so useful in helping us resolve this, but it does confirm that since the scan procedure is the same each time it might point to something on the system that is causing this delay, my thoughts are:

• You mentioned your games are all sorted with the `LaunchBox > Games` directory right? Are all games with the respective platform folder there, there's no symlinks out to other locations, right?
  • Do any of those platforms have any sort of subdirectory layout inside of them?
  • Are any of your games using a compressed like .zip?

Alternatively, if you can zip up your `LaunchBox > Data` directory and are happy to share with me in a PM I can try to dig into things further

Cheers,

Hi @AstroBob. Not a problem!

No I don't have any symbolic links, all game files are there in their respective platform-named subfolders under Games, as per recommended.

Yes a few of my games are in subfolders inside their respective platforms (example: Atari ST, Amiga), and a large proportion of all other ROMs are 7zipped or zipped.

Actually I did tell a porky earlier on - the ExoDOS and ExoWin3.x projects are in their own "eXo" folder under LaunchBox, which contains emulators, utils, etc. as well as the games.

To be honest, it's not very often I need to scan for added ROMs any more, so am happy to mark this one as "to be solved at some point in the future" :)