LaunchBox Community Forums

Retrotastic [Theme Stream] 3.6

(2 reviews)

9 Screenshots

About This File

Retrotastic was built during a Theme Stream broadcast. If you are interested in creating themes, follow me on Twitch, or watch the videos later on YouTube.

A Catalog of past Theme Streams can be found on the forums here: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/54760-retro-faerans-theme-stream-big-box-theme-creation/

This theme only works on version 10.15 and above due to its reliance on some new bindings!

Retrotastic

I recreated my Retrotastic theme in the theme creator. This was an ambitious project, but one that was well worth it. It still has all the fun of the original theme, with over 150 platform specific backgrounds and a plethora of game specific backgrounds and graphics to play around with. This brings the theme up to a new, modern standard that includes many performance benefits. I also managed to tweak the views here and there to make the theme snappier. Please enjoy this new version, along with the COMMUNITY Theme Creator project files for you to play around with and create your own version of my theme.

Game1-1.thumb.PNG.9811a27fe1ff6e6d53af93b526360bbf.PNG
Watch this theme being built:

Instructions

• Retrotastic - Theme.zip - BigBox theme. Place extracted folder in your LAUNCHBOX\Themes folder
  • Retrotastic - COMMUNITY Project files.zip - Creator Project files. Place extracted folder in your COMMUNITY\My Theme Projects folder

Documentation

Don't forget to pick up Scratcher amazing game media packs for Retrotastic. These packs really brings this theme to life:

Credits
COMMUNITY Theme Creator by @y2guru. Find it here: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/2115-community-theme-creator-for-bigbox/
My Twitch Channel: https://www.twitch.tv/retrofaeran
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2C5q0Muy-ehYpZUIIdJ94Q
-----------
Faeran - Coding of the theme, many of the platform/playlist backgrounds, pixel ESRB icons, and the pixel genre icons
Broskiplays - Creating the idea for this project, along with many platform/playlist backgrounds
Harryoke - Creating many platform/playlist backgrounds, the platform background video, options background, and many other various videos/images
Nyny77 - Creating platform/playlist backgrounds, along with the use of his extensive collection of platform logos
GreatLemon - For creating some of the pixel genre icon graphics

What's New in Version 3.6   See changelog

Released

• Boxes in all views will now use the 3D Box Model and can be rotated.
  • The Game Details menu will now remain open at all times
  • The TV Title will no longer appear when in the Game Details menu
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hi faeran, I'm loving the new Retrotastic, it's much more optimized compared to the previous versions. You really did a great job!

I'd like just to give some feedback:

In the theme manager inside Bigbox, this version is still not recognized, so it'll flag a "fake" update alert.

In this version I can use the theme even in a 21:9 resolution and custom scaling on Windows and everything will work flawless regardless. This is awesome! For the previous version I would need to constantly lower my resolution to Full HD and 100% scale factor before opening BB, or the theme would not work correctly (carts/disc would fall below the screen, etc).

Something to consider: The front box of games are loading too fast, now the user can't see the custom background art, because it will appear after the front box is already in place. I'd like to suggest you to tweak this to be similar to the previous versions, when the custom background would always load first and after a short delay the front box and cartridge would appear.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

Hi faeran, I'm loving the new Retrotastic, it's much more optimized compared to the previous versions. You really did a great job!

I'd like just to give some feedback:

In the theme manager inside Bigbox, this version is still not recognized, so it'll flag a "fake" update alert.

In this version I can use the theme even in a 21:9 resolution and custom scaling on Windows and everything will work flawless regardless. This is awesome! For the previous version I would need to constantly lower my resolution to Full HD and 100% scale factor before opening BB, or the theme would not work correctly (carts/disc would fall below the screen, etc).

Something to consider: The front box of games are loading too fast, now the user can't see the custom background art, because it will appear after the front box is already in place. I'd like to suggest you to tweak this to be similar to the previous versions, when the custom background would always load first and after a short delay the front box and cartridge would appear.

Thanks @Bullfrog for your feedback. Much appreciated. Glad you are enjoying the updated theme.

At the moment, the version of the theme on both the forum and the theme manager are the same. However, the theme manager will always take priority. So if you download a theme from the forum, the manager will always flag you to update it in the theme manager, even if it is the same copy (or older copy).

And delaying the front box is something that can be considered. I know a lot of people have their own opinions on that subject. What's good is that I also released the project files, as part of the Theme Stream series. So you can download the files, load them up in the COMMUNITY Theme Creator and make the edits yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @faeran. Thanks for all the themes you make for us all here. I'm a big fan of this one and CoverBox.

I just updated this theme and notice that for platforms that don't have a custom theme as of yet, the default one is gone... just replaced with a black screen now. Not sure if this was intentional but figured I'd point it out. Screen below for an example:

image.thumb.png.e5442aadb3f56718a4fc8349493baf6a.png

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

Hi @faeran. Thanks for all the themes you make for us all here. I'm a big fan of this one and CoverBox.

I just updated this theme and notice that for platforms that don't have a custom theme as of yet, the default one is gone... just replaced with a black screen now. Not sure if this was intentional but figured I'd point it out. Screen below for an example:

image.thumb.png.e5442aadb3f56718a4fc8349493baf6a.png

Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. Found the issue. The prioritizedpathselector control seems to have some quirkiness to it.

I have it fixed for the next release.

• Like 2

PS1:

• Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy VIII
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Megaman X4
  • Chrono Cross

Spoiler

525.png

526.png

527.png

567.png

1005.png

Edited by squallsoft
  • Like 1

Hey,

Your theme has been my go to for the past 2 years but the recent update has disabled per platform image groups in BIGBOX. For example I have thumbnails in arcade set to 3d boxes, SEGA GG set to clear

logos etc. but now all platforms are set to box front by default. Would it be possible to fix this in the future? I have tried other themes and they all recognize the difference in image groups as set in launchbox and past versions of your theme also worked fine.

So, I believe I fixed both of these issues.

I fixed it a while ago and haven't had a chance to release it.

I'll see what I can do about releasing what I have in the next while.

2 minutes ago, faeran said:

So, I believe I fixed both of these issues.

I fixed it a while ago and haven't had a chance to release it.

I'll see what I can do about releasing what I have in the next while.

Do you mean the use of gifs ?, and thank you very much for dedicating your time and effort to offer us this great theme

23 minutes ago, SOLIDXWESKER said:

Do you mean the use of gifs ?, and thank you very much for dedicating your time and effort to offer us this great theme

yup, that will be included in the update.

Hello, I downloaded the recent update with the hope of being able to use my gifs but it still does not detect them, in other versions of retrotastic they work without any problem, you do not know what could be the problem in this recent update?

44 minutes ago, SOLIDXWESKER said:

Hello, I downloaded the recent update with the hope of being able to use my gifs but it still does not detect them, in other versions of retrotastic they work without any problem, you do not know what could be the problem in this recent update?

You are right. Appears to be something off. I'm looking into it.

39 minutes ago, SOLIDXWESKER said:

Thank you very much friend, your theme is fantastic and when it has gifs it becomes perfect

Ok, it should be working in all the views now. Let me know if it's still not working for you.

4 hours ago, faeran said:

Ok, debería estar funcionando en todas las vistas ahora. Avísame si todavía no te funciona.

The gifs already worked for me but it happened to me that browsing the menus the screen remains static and does not allow me to make any movement the only way to exit the big box is with the task manager this only happened to me in this new update 1.1

On 10/18/2020 at 2:39 AM, SOLIDXWESKER said:

The gifs already worked for me but it happened to me that browsing the menus the screen remains static and does not allow me to make any movement the only way to exit the big box is with the task manager this only happened to me in this new update 1.1

Glad the GIFs are working. I'm not able to recreate the freezing. Maybe you need to unblock the plugins?

55 minutes ago, Jaybra said:

Per platform thumbnail image types are still not working in recent update

Hi @Jaybra. Are you able to provide more context?

In Launchbox and the default Bigbox for thumbnails you can have different image groups (cover image type) for each platform. I have 3d boxes for arcade, clear logos for atari, normal front covers for SNES etc. but only the front covers appear for each platform in your theme not any of the other image types. I made a comment about a month ago discussing this issue.

LB Default.png

BB Retrotastic.png

Edited by Jaybra

On 11/10/2020 at 7:42 PM, Jaybra said:

In Launchbox and the default Bigbox for thumbnails you can have different image groups (cover image type) for each platform. I have 3d boxes for arcade, clear logos for atari, normal front covers for SNES etc. but only the front covers appear for each platform in your theme not any of the other image types. I made a comment about a month ago discussing this issue.

LB Default.png

BB Retrotastic.png

I see what you mean.

You are talking about the BoxArt within BigBox. There's a transition presenter element for the main image that theme creators can use. Unfortunately, it's not included in the COMMUNITY Theme Creator at the moment. It's on the list to get added, when it does, I'll switch the boxart image to that main image transition presenter element. That will do what you want it to do.

Yes I am talking about the boxart

sorry about the convoluted response 

your theme is the best one on here in my opinion

do you have a copy of the old version of retrotastic with the stars in the top left corner and the scrolling synopsis in the TV Screen? that was my favorite and it's not on here anymore I would really appreciate if if you could DM me a copy if you have one.

thanks for your reply

Edited by Jaybra