LaunchBox Community Forums

Retrotastic [Theme Stream]

faeran

Retrotastic [Theme Stream]

View File

Retrotastic was built during a Theme Stream broadcast. If you are interested in creating themes, follow me on Twitch, or watch the videos later on YouTube.

A Catalog of past Theme Streams can be found on the forums here: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/54760-retro-faerans-theme-stream-big-box-theme-creation/

This theme only works on version 10.15 and above due to its reliance on some new bindings!

Retrotastic

I recreated my Retrotastic theme in the theme creator. This was an ambitious project, but one that was well worth it. It still has all the fun of the original theme, with over 150 platform specific backgrounds and a plethora of game specific backgrounds and graphics to play around with. This brings the theme up to a new, modern standard that includes many performance benefits. I also managed to tweak the views here and there to make the theme snappier. Please enjoy this new version, along with the COMMUNITY Theme Creator project files for you to play around with and create your own version of my theme.

Game1-1.thumb.PNG.9811a27fe1ff6e6d53af93b526360bbf.PNG
Watch this theme being built:

Instructions

• Retrotastic - Theme.zip - BigBox theme. Place extracted folder in your LAUNCHBOX\Themes folder
  • Retrotastic - COMMUNITY Project files.zip - Creator Project files. Place extracted folder in your COMMUNITY\My Theme Projects folder

Documentation

Don't forget to pick up Scratcher amazing game media packs for Retrotastic. These packs really brings this theme to life:

Credits
COMMUNITY Theme Creator by @y2guru. Find it here: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/2115-community-theme-creator-for-bigbox/
My Twitch Channel: https://www.twitch.tv/retrofaeran
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2C5q0Muy-ehYpZUIIdJ94Q
-----------
Faeran - Coding of the theme, many of the platform/playlist backgrounds, pixel ESRB icons, and the pixel genre icons
Broskiplays - Creating the idea for this project, along with many platform/playlist backgrounds
Harryoke - Creating many platform/playlist backgrounds, the platform background video, options background, and many other various videos/images
Nyny77 - Creating platform/playlist backgrounds, along with the use of his extensive collection of platform logos
GreatLemon - For creating some of the pixel genre icon graphics

• Thanks 1

My game media packs for this theme  are also updated for the new version, including 2 new packs for Nintendo Gamecube and Tecmo Arcade games :)

and all packs can be downloaded as a highrez uncompressed or allready compressed version.

Edited by Scratcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What an update, that gives me the motivation to get a first pack of backgrounds out soon (I made hundreds of em so prepare for backgrounds galore). My only complain though is that it seems like gif assets no longer work and it's a shame since some of my work relies on gifs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xirvet said:

What an update, that gives me the motivation to get a first pack of backgrounds out soon (I made hundreds of em so prepare for backgrounds galore). My only complain though is that it seems like gif assets no longer work and it's a shame since some of my work relies on gifs.

Thanks @Xirvet. That should be simple enough to add back into this new version. I'll add it to the next update.

• Game On 1

1 minute ago, faeran said:

Thanks @Xirvet. That should be simple enough to add back into this new version. I'll add it to the next update.

No problem, btw, the icon issue I had mentionned previously is no longer an issue anymore in this version. Oh and consider this image a teaser of what's to come when I eventually upload my stuff.

176820.png

• Like 2
  • Game On 1

On 5/26/2020 at 2:10 AM, Xirvet said:

What an update, that gives me the motivation to get a first pack of backgrounds out soon (I made hundreds of em so prepare for backgrounds galore).

Oh I am very much looking forward to your packs! I was hoping that someday someone else would also make and share backgrounds for this theme besides me :D

• Unusual Gem 1

On 5/28/2020 at 4:21 PM, Scratcher said:

Oh I am very much looking forward to your packs! I was hoping that someday someone else would also make and share backgrounds for this theme besides me :D

I had been making them almost as long as you just got lazy in submitting them which oh boy, that first pack is a doozy but here it is 

• Like 1

ok wow, over 1 GB, I didn't expect that ?

I am very happy that you have decided to share this. 

I took a quick look inside that pack and I can allready tell that I will replace on my personal Bigbox setup some of my backgrounds with yours.

Awesome work!

3 hours ago, Scratcher said:

ok wow, over 1 GB, I didn't expect that ?

I am very happy that you have decided to share this. 

I took a quick look inside that pack and I can allready tell that I will replace on my personal Bigbox setup some of my backgrounds with yours.

Awesome work!

That's funny because the opposite happened for me too a few times XD

• Like 1

Hey guys, been messing around for a bit and posted some custom work in the comments section of the theme. Here's what I've done so far:

Windows:

• AM2R - Return of Samus
  • Tetris effect
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV

Spoiler

Spoiler

29865.thumb.png.de2c9e37c91662ee1d8b7dc008b8cf66.png167030.thumb.png.acafa1fc5c95b13a9300d4c497be7e69.png17447.thumb.png.28098e5bdf985003558fa48b03162e6f.png

Sega Dreamcast:

• Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Spoiler

Spoiler

2244.thumb.png.8e6ba8e41f22221eebea7fe4d3d63cb0.png

Sony Playstation

• Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy VIII
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Chrono Cross
  • Mega Man X 4

Spoiler

Spoiler

525.thumb.png.515b3e9c58aed4c0f36619723d08fcbe.png526.thumb.png.f2eb0b164d3dfe4fe50a855f3c858413.png527.thumb.png.5ecfba881615eb8620ae5741dfec1eca.png567.thumb.png.9e0c10137e2e4e949290f34ec825ac43.png1005.thumb.png.25478cf5f7bcd0fa5871a0c95d2bc241.png

Sony PSP:

• Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII
  • Dissidia 012: Duodecim

Spoiler

Spoiler

81.thumb.png.7ef12fb4636e2cd74e50dab04b927538.png8492.thumb.png.9613636ab662fb4da99c666fad6eade3.png

Platforms and Collections:

• Bandai Wonderswan
  • Bandai Wonderswan Color
  • Contra Collection
  • Castlevania Collection

Spoiler

wonderswan.thumb.png.fe4dfb8131339aeae85a76b4355d14da.png1628362115_castlevaniacollection.thumb.png.11b0bc3cab2dccb1a72b0693f2219084.png

contra collection.png

wonderswan color.png

Edited by squallsoft
  • Like 2
  • Game On 1

20 hours ago, squallsoft said:

CANNOT WAIT ?

No need to wait ;D

I Just uploaded my first Windows pack. It comes with 89 backrounds for the following games:

Spoiler

- //N.P.P.D. RUSH//: The milk of Ultraviolet
- >observer_
- 5 Days a Stranger
- 7 Days a Skeptic
- 7 Days to Die
- 8Bit Killer
- 9.03m
- The 11th Hour
- 99 Spirits
- 1602 A.D.
- AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome
- ABZÛ
- Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action!
- Adera
- Advent Rising
- Age of Wonders III
- Alan Wake
- Alan Wake's American Nightmare
- Alien Breed: Impact
- Alien Breed 2: Assault
- Alien Breed 3: Descent
- Alien Rage
- Alien Isolation
- Aliens versus Predator 2
- Aliens versus Predators 2: Primal Hunt
- Aliens versus Predators Classic 2000
- American Fugitive
- Amercian McGee's Grimm
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent
- The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures
- Anna's Quest
- Anno 2070
- Anodyne 2: Return to Dust
- Anomaly 2
- Antichamber
- Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender
- Assassin's Creed Origins
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate
- Assetto Corsa
- Avernum: Escape from the pit
- Axiom Verge
- Aztez
- Bad Hotel
- Bad North: Jotunn Edition
- Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
- The Bard's Tale
- Batman: Arkham Origins
- Battlefield 3
- Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians
- Bejeweled 3
- Ben and Ed
- Ben There, Dan That!
- Bermuda
- Betrayer
- Beyond Divinity
- Binary Domain
- The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
- BioShock Remastered
- BioShock 2: Remastered
- BioShock Infinite
- Black & White 2
- Black Mesa
- Blackguards
- Blade of Darkness
- Blade Symphony
- Block Story
- Blood II: The Chosen
- Blood of the Werewolf
- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
- Blood Omen 2: The Legacy of Kain
- BloodRayne
- BloodRayne 2
- Bomber Crew
- Borderlands 2
- Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
- Braid
- Breath of Death VII: The Begninning
- The Bridge
- Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars: The Director's Cut
- Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror Remastered
- Broken Sword 2.5: The Return of the Templars
- Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon
- Broken Sword: The Angel of Death
- Broken Sword 5: THe Serpent's Curse
- Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
- Brutal Doom
- Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back
- Peggle

and here is a little screenshot preview:

Spoiler

win1.thumb.png.f6e3b628ce38be5902de7c85ac14c6aa.pngwin2.thumb.png.2064e650370518c374c032223fba6c5d.pngwin3.thumb.png.eb662604b8aab6a9b738faa87ba042e3.pngwin4.thumb.png.49645e0fc250b708757df76acbbbd576.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...