LaunchBox Community Forums

Flashpoint Importer for Launchers 0.7.5.2

(4 reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

FIL (Flashpoint Importer for Launchers)

FIL is an importer tool for several launchers/frontends that allows one to add platforms and playlists from BlueMaxima's Flashpoint project to their collection. It is fully automated and only requires the user to provide the paths to their launcher and Flashpoint installs, choose which Platforms/Playlists they wish to import, and select between a few import mode options. Once the import is started the current progress is displayed and any errors that occur are shown to the user, with resolvable errors including a prompt for what the user would like to do. After the process has completed, the specified launcher can be started and the games from Flashpoint can be played like those from any other Platform.

For Platforms, the importer is capable of importing each game/animation along with any additional apps, images, and most of the metadata fields (i.e. Title, Description, etc, see below).

Function

This utility makes use of its sister project CLIFp (Command-line Interface for Flashpoint) to allow launchers to actually start and exit the games correctly. It is automatically deployed into your Flashpoint installation (updated if necessary) at the end of a successful import and the latest version of CLIFp will be included in each release of this utility so it is not generally something the end-user needs to concern themselves with.

Before making any changes to your collection, any datafiles that will be altered are automatically backed up (only one backup is maintained at once so any previous backup will be overwritten) and if any unrecoverable errors occur during the import any partial changes are reverted and the backups are restored; however, it is strongly suggested that you consider making a manual backup of your launcher's configuration to be safe. No responsibility is held for the loss of data due to use of this tool.

FIL can safely be used multiple times on the same collection to update the selected Platforms and Playlists if that have already been imported previously. The method with which to handle existing entries is selected within the program before each import.

The import time will vary, correlated with how many Platforms/Playlists you have selected, but more significantly the image mode you choose, which is expanded on later. Importing the entire collection usually takes 5-10 minutes with the recommended settings but can take longer with a more basic PC. The vast majority of the processing time is due to the plethora of images that have to be copied/symlinked when games processed so the speed of your storage device is the most significant factor. Running the importer for updates should be significantly faster it first checks to see if the source image from the new import source is actually different than your current one before copying/linking it.

You will still be able to use the standard Flashpoint launcher as normal after completing an import.

Compatability

Flashpoint Infinity/Flashpoint Ultimate
This tool was made with the express purpose of using it with Flashpoint Ultimate (i.e. all games/animations pre-downloaded), but since the 0.2 rewrite of CLIFp it should work with Infinity as well. Just note that use with Infinity is not tested as rigorously.

General

While testing for 100% compatibility is infeasible given the size of Flashpoint, OFILb was designed with full compatibility in mind.

The ":message:" feature of Flashpoint, commonly used to automatically show usage instructions for some games before they are started, is supported. The entries that use it are added as additional-apps to their respective games as they once were when Flashpoint came packaged with LaunchBox. All messages are displayed in a pop-up dialog via CLIFp.

Viewing extras (which are simply a folder) is also supported and the corresponding additional apps that open these folders will be added when importing a platform.

Since Flashpoint originally used LaunchBox as its launcher, most fields within Flashpoint have a one-to-one equivalent (or close enough equivalent) LaunchBox field. That being said there are a few fields that are unique to Flashpoint that do not have matching field and so they are simply excluded during the import, resulting in a relatively minor loss of information for each game in your collection.

Version Matching

Supported Launchers

• LaunchBox
  • AttractMode

Flashpoint
While testing for 100% compatibility is infeasible given the size of Flashpoint, FIL was designed with full compatibility in mind.

The ":message:" feature of Flashpoint, commonly used to automatically show usage instructions for some games before they are started, is supported. The entries that use it are added as additional-apps to their respective games as they once were when Flashpoint came packaged with LaunchBox. All messages are displayed in a pop-up dialog via CLIFp.

Viewing extras (which are simply a folder) is also supported and the corresponding additional apps that open these folders will be added when importing a platform.

Each metadata field (i.e. Title, Author, etc.) is matched to the closest equivalent of a given launcher, or a custom field if there is no near equivalent and the launcher supports them; otherwise, the field will be omitted.

Both Flashpoint Ultimate and Flashpoint Infinity are supported.

Version Matching
Each release of this application targets a specific version series of BlueMaxima's Flashpoint, which are composed of a major and minor version number, and are designed to work with all Flashpoint updates within that series. For example, a FIL release that targets Flashpoint 10.1 is intended to be used with any version of flashpoint that fits the scheme 10.1.x.x, such as 10.1, 10.1.0.3, 10.1.2, etc, but not 10.2.

Using a version of FIL that does not target the version of Flashpoint you wish to use it with is highly discouraged as some features may not work correctly or at all and in some cases the utility may fail to function entirely or even damage the Flashpoint install it is used with.

Please see the project's releases page on GitHub to check which tool version targets which Flashpoint version.

Metadata Fields

Currently the following fields in LaunchBox will be populated for each game, which is limited by what is available within Flashpoint:

• Title
  • Series
  • Developer
  • Publisher
  • Platform
  • Sort Title
  • Date Added
  • Date Modified
  • Broken Flag
  • Play Mode
  • Status
  • Notes
  • Source
  • Release Date
  • Version
  • Library
  • Language (as a Custom Field)

Usage

Please check the usage section for the tool on its GitHub page. It's easier to keep the instructions up to date when they are in one location.

If you have a bug or feature request I ask that you submit an issue on the GitHub page for this tool, but if you just want to ask a question, discuss the tool in general, or are having issues getting it working for reasons you don't think are due to a bug then please just make a post here. Since sometimes the line between the two can be blurry don't feel afraid to use the wrong system, it isn't a huge deal.

GitHub

FIL: https://github.com/oblivioncth/OFILb

CLIFp: https://github.com/oblivioncth/CLIFp

Edited by oblivioncth
Update for rebrand

What's New in Version 0.7.5.2   See changelog

Released

Fix LB renaming files after import for real this time.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Game On 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, Syllius said:

Wow, there it is. I'm in a bit of shock right now. lol So, once my drive arrives and I get 12.1 Ultimate, can I ask what type of errors that you anticipated when you mentioned earlier about the latest version's compatibility issues? This one seems to work now and I'm wondering if I should try to locate an archive of a more robust older working version or trying to build out a library through what I have a result with now. Any advice is appreciated and considered heavily!  Again, I can't thank you enough, I needed a win tonight!

Can you link me to where exactly you found a copy of Flashpoint Infinity that was labeled as 12.1 as I still have yet to see such a thing, lol.

The situation with Ultimate right now is unfortunate. It has a number of issues, largely due to uncaught bugs. Namely:

• Broken configuration files you have to manually edit after downloading
  • Missing games
  • A version.txt file that incorrectly identifies it as "Infinity" even though it's actually ultimate
  • Packaged in a format that can be a bit tricky to extract on Windows

There's another issue or two I can't remember at the moment that, along with the incorrect version.txt file, would require me to add temporary "hacks" into FIL and CLIFp to correctly handled some of these issues, only for them to then need to be removed again once the next version of Ultimate comes out once those problems are presumably fixed.

Technically, it might not be that bad in the end, but I've haven't even really had time to look much at Ultimate myself and am largely going off what I've heard from others and what you can see on the Flashpoint Discord. The fact that it may be a pain to get working with my tools has discouraged me from prioritizing it much as I currently don't have much time to sink into it as mentioned earlier. I might get around to releasing an update for it before the next update, or I may not. Can't say at this moment. I'd like to get around to it sooner than later but I don't want to make promises I can't keep.

So essentially, I'd just consider Ultimate to not work with FIL period until further notice, meaning that at least for the moment you'd need to stick to Infinity. If it makes things easier for you, you could get a collection going with Infinity and then switch it to Ultimate later as long as you keep the installation path exactly the same.

P.S. The error you ran into after creating a test playlist is due to an oversight by me when I added the feature of using icons from playlists. I forgot to account for the fact that user made playlists won't have them. I'll be sure to fix this for the next release of FIL which I can handle soon since unlike with the Ultimate situation I know exactly what needs to be done to fix that.

image.thumb.png.0f2ddb65db87746b73d90183501326b0.png

Came right off their site. I believe that's where I picked up the previous version, too. I attempted to grab a couple other games, and started testing them. Lots of white screens, but I kind of feel like that's some sort of firewall conflict on my behalf. Still trying to figure it out. When I attempted to import a few of the ones that were playing, though, I started getting a key error for server from the config.json in Launcher. I think I had switched it from PHP to Apache at some point, but switching it back didn't seem to help. I believe the only ones I added were from the Adult Swim playlist. I imagine this, amongst other things, is probably some of your frustrations. I'm not terribly prolific at the inner working of programming, but if you ever want someone to bear the burden, I'll be keeping right up on your updates. I'd be more than happy to help try and test out functionality when the new version drop if you think it'll be feasible. Wish I had a bit more understanding of the internal machinations of the server.

26 minutes ago, Syllius said:

image.thumb.png.0f2ddb65db87746b73d90183501326b0.png

Came right off their site. I believe that's where I picked up the previous version, too. I attempted to grab a couple other games, and started testing them. Lots of white screens, but I kind of feel like that's some sort of firewall conflict on my behalf. Still trying to figure it out. When I attempted to import a few of the ones that were playing, though, I started getting a key error for server from the config.json in Launcher. I think I had switched it from PHP to Apache at some point, but switching it back didn't seem to help. I believe the only ones I added were from the Adult Swim playlist. I imagine this, amongst other things, is probably some of your frustrations. I'm not terribly prolific at the inner working of programming, but if you ever want someone to bear the burden, I'll be keeping right up on your updates. I'd be more than happy to help try and test out functionality when the new version drop if you think it'll be feasible. Wish I had a bit more understanding of the internal machinations of the server.

Ah... interesting you went as far as checking the launcher executable's file version. While that in itself is perfectly reasonable, that version number doesn't always match the entire releases version number, which in this case is still just 12. That's what the target version is aiming for. If they actually update the whole release to something like "12.1" it will say so on the website and should also say that in the title bar of the launcher once it's running. So for now all is well in that department.

As for the other stuff, here's what I'd do: I'm going to push an update for FIL as soon as I can, perhaps even tomorrow. Once I do, download it and then get yourself a fresh, unaltered copy of Infinity to avoid any potential issues that could arise from specific config settings. Run it once with the standard launcher and update it using the button in the upper left corner (it may prompt you to restart during this). Then, once it's updated try using the new/latest version of FIL with it and then let me know if you continue to have issues with certain games.

I'll be sure to inform you when I post the update.

• Thanks 1

Absolutely indebted! Thank you very much and I appreciate the info about the version number. I think that once you had mentioned it and I went to the archived version of the downloads, I just assumed the original download I'd made was 12.1 since the archived version is labeled 12.0. I had no idea though that the version numbers were target number, though I think I remember reading something this evening about not using trailing 0s in release numbers, but that may have been a GitHub tad-bit that flew by me in my frenzied state. 😃 I'll keep an eye out and, again, all my gratitude!

To clarify, the releases of GitHub, labeled like so:

FIL Release v0.7.1.2 (Targets FP v12.0)

First lists the version of FIL itself, and then in the parenthesis shows the matching version of Flashpoint that particular release was designed to work with.

It shows "12.0" to specifically highlight that it's meant to work with the initial revision of Flashpoint 12, as sometimes if you just show the major version (12) without the ".0" it can be interpreted to mean the whole release range of 12 in its entirety, and not just 12.0. For example, Qt, a library I use extensively in the development of these tools is often mentioned in accordance with its major version. I.e. Qt 3, Qt 4, Qt 5 or Qt 6; however, there are many minor versions of Qt within these, so even though there is a Qt 6.0, simply writing "Qt 6" generally refers to any minor release of Qt 6 (so it could be 6.4.2 or 6.5.1, etc.).

So here, I use 12.0 to distinguish that I am specifically referring to 12.0 and not any release of Flashpoint 12.

Trailing zeros are generally to be avoided for the 3rd and 4th places, often referred to as "build" and "revision" respectively (though there are other names). So you wouldn't want to do 5.0.0.0 or 5.0.0, but 5.0 is fine since it helps to disambiguate the above situation, as explained.

That's absolutely awesome! I've looked at version numbers for decades, but have only had a very distant relationship with programming  and had no idea that the numbers were classifications of updates. I always just assumed it was to have a wider range of numbers to choose from for branching versions. I've always wanted to get more into it and recently looking at some of the tutorials for building C# plugins has really been tempting me to try and start learning how to use Visual Studio. I've always found it really intimidating though, heh, I usually get to about the library inclusion and function building parts of the curriculum and start feeling overwhelmed. 

8 hours ago, Syllius said:

That's absolutely awesome! I've looked at version numbers for decades, but have only had a very distant relationship with programming  and had no idea that the numbers were classifications of updates. I always just assumed it was to have a wider range of numbers to choose from for branching versions. I've always wanted to get more into it and recently looking at some of the tutorials for building C# plugins has really been tempting me to try and start learning how to use Visual Studio. I've always found it really intimidating though, heh, I usually get to about the library inclusion and function building parts of the curriculum and start feeling overwhelmed. 

It's further complicated by the fact that there's no hard and fast rules, but rather just "best practice" which of course people argue over. It's also become more common over time to leave out the zero when showing release numbers in more "user facing" contexts since it looks cleaner. Even though the FP12 release on the website is specifically 12.0, they started leaving out the zero so they only list it as 12, which can then be confusing since it contradicts what I said earlier. The "stricter" use of version numbers does include keeping the 0 when it matters though as I explained with the Qt example.

Yea, this kind of stuff can be really intimidating at first, and dealing with the tooling is it's own nightmare, but it definitely gets easier as you go. Starting with example projects that are already fully working can be a good way to get a better sense of what really matters and what doesn't for a particular goal (e.g. loading in an external library) as it's definitely easy to get lost in the myriad of facilities and to know what exactly is relevant for a given task.

Anyway, I uploaded an update to FIL. As I said before, try it out with a fresh copy of FP12 Infinity and then let me know if you run into issues with games working again, or just how to use FIL in general.

Edited by oblivioncth
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 6:58 PM, oblivioncth said:

It's further complicated by the fact that there's no hard and fast rules, but rather just "best practice" which of course people argue over. It's also become more common over time to leave out the zero when showing release numbers in more "user facing" contexts since it looks cleaner. Even though the FP12 release on the website is specifically 12.0, they started leaving out the zero so they only list it as 12, which can then be confusing since it contradicts what I said earlier. The "stricter" use of version numbers does include keeping the 0 when it matters though as I explained with the Qt example.

Yea, this kind of stuff can be really intimidating at first, and dealing with the tooling is it's own nightmare, but it definitely gets easier as you go. Starting with example projects that are already fully working can be a good way to get a better sense of what really matters and what doesn't for a particular goal (e.g. loading in an external library) as it's definitely easy to get lost in the myriad of facilities and to know what exactly is relevant for a given task.

Anyway, I uploaded an update to FIL. As I said before, try it out with a fresh copy of FP12 Infinity and then let me know if you run into issues with games working again, or just how to use FIL in general.

Thanks again for the quick turn around! Just grabbed it and sitting down to do the installs now!

Can't thank you enough! Apparently, my wife had built up a tremendous amount of nostalgia for "Hot Dog Bush" over the years! Lol, you really put a ton of laughter in the air here! It seems to work very smoothly and I don't want to tinker with anything at the risk of breaking it. Can I ask if there's any way to do bulk downloads or perhaps drop in the missing game info from an Ultimate install? The sea of blank of entries in LaunchBox has me in challenge mode now!  =D

• Game On 1

6 hours ago, Syllius said:

Can't thank you enough! Apparently, my wife had built up a tremendous amount of nostalgia for "Hot Dog Bush" over the years! Lol, you really put a ton of laughter in the air here! It seems to work very smoothly and I don't want to tinker with anything at the risk of breaking it. Can I ask if there's any way to do bulk downloads or perhaps drop in the missing game info from an Ultimate install? The sea of blank of entries in LaunchBox has me in challenge mode now!  =D

You should be good to just swap to Ultaimte when the time comes, but if you would really not mess with it too much, you could try to copy the Images and Games folders from Ultimate into Infinity which then would make them more or less equivalent. The legacy games would be a little more complicated to copy over but those can also still be downloaded on the fly when you try to play them so it wouldn't be a huge deal.