LaunchBox Community Forums

Play Box 5 1.0.0

(3 reviews)

11 Screenshots

About This File

This is Play Box 5, An overhaul of Play Box 4 with Game title, description & background/fanart images available from Home Screen upon selecting each title from the Recently Played Shortcuts.
Lots of tweaks like fading menu controls, Home Screen Icons/Widgets & Banner/Box images have been enlarged slightly. Changed some of the Games Views & also New Walls Games Views. Hundreds of more Icons/Widgets & new videoborders for the WheelGamesView.
Make sure you Refresh all images in BigBox options/Image Cache.

This theme was designed on a 32 inch screen TV at a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080p. It's been tested on a 42 inch screen TV, 18 inch screen laptop & a 21 inch screen Desktop PC all at screen resolution of 1920 x 1080p. If there are any display problems then it can mostly be a scaling issue in Windows for example Settings/System/Scale & Layout = 125% or some TVs have scaling options in there picture settings or scaling options in Graphics card settings for example Nvidia Control Panel or ATI Radeon Catylist Control Center.

For a 4K display this can be achieved by changing the desktop resolution to 3840 x 2160 & change the windows scaling settings to 250% via the Windows/Settings/Display/Scale & Layout Setting but all your other apps ect may be zoomed in as Play Box was designed in a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080.

Edited by daz
Updating details

• Like 12
  • Game On 2
  • Haha 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hi Daz!!! It is a amazing theme, thanks for the great work!! I am using a 16:10 windows handheld, is there any chance that you could provide a community creator version of Playbox so that I could adjust little to fit in the small 16:10 handheld screen! Thank you very much

Hello there! I was wondering how I would make this work with a 4k display? Thanks for the hard work!!

On 7/4/2021 at 4:59 AM, MuffinXXL said:

Hi Daz!!! It is a amazing theme, thanks for the great work!! I am using a 16:10 windows handheld, is there any chance that you could provide a community creator version of Playbox so that I could adjust little to fit in the small 16:10 handheld screen! Thank you very much

Hi MuffinXXL, Glad you like my theme. I have been creating the Play Box series long before the Community Theme Creator was available however the xaml files in my theme can be easily edited with any text editor like Notepad. Please provide a review

12 hours ago, vahn65 said:

Hello there! I was wondering how I would make this work with a 4k display? Thanks for the hard work!!

Thanks Vahn65. Unfortunately I created the theme for a 1920 x 1080 screen resolution only but I do plan to redo it in 4K as soon as I can get round to it. Please provide a review of my theme.

12 hours ago, daz said:

Thanks Vahn65. Unfortunately I created the theme for a 1920 x 1080 screen resolution only but I do plan to redo it in 4K as soon as I can get round to it. Please provide a review of my theme.

I had a look to see how it would look in 4K myself so after changing my desktop resolution to 3840 x 2160 & changed the windows scaling settings to 250% via the Windows/Settings/Display/Scale & Layout Setting it seemed ok. Please let me know if this is ok.

It does work! howver as a result my entire display is zoomed in a bit to much so ill have to zoom back out when im not using launchbox but this is a fine work around for now! Thank you

30 minutes ago, adansocar said:

Hello that such, elegant theme, very good work, excellent, I would like to know nothing more than one thing, as I do to add movies to the shortcut as in your demo video, I would thank you very much for your help, thank you,

I really love the look & idea but it doesn't look right on my computer at all for some reason, can you help me in fixing it?

2021-07-23 (1).png

2021-07-23 (2).png

2021-07-23 (3).png

2021-07-23 (4).png

2021-07-23 (5).png

2021-07-23 (6).png

2021-07-23.png

On 7/16/2021 at 7:44 PM, adansocar said:

Hi anansocar, Nice to see you enjoying Play Box. I add the Windows & Movies app exe file in Windows 10 as a Game in launchbox. Then i create a Platform Category called Movies & add all my Movies to that Platform Category.  

Hi SuperSilver.

This theme was designed on a 32 inch screen TV at a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080p. It's been tested on a 42 inch screen TV, 18 inch screen laptop & a 21 inch screen Desktop PC all at screen resolution of 1920 x 1080p. Do you have your desktop screen set at the right screen resolution, or sometimes it can be a scaling issue in Windows for example Settings/System/Scale & Layout = 125% or some TVs have scaling options in there picture settings or scaling options in Graphics card settings for example Nvidia Control Panel or ATI Radeon Catylist Control Center.

On 7/26/2021 at 1:24 PM, daz said:

Hi SuperSilver.

This theme was designed on a 32 inch screen TV at a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080p. It's been tested on a 42 inch screen TV, 18 inch screen laptop & a 21 inch screen Desktop PC all at screen resolution of 1920 x 1080p. Do you have your desktop screen set at the right screen resolution, or sometimes it can be a scaling issue in Windows for example Settings/System/Scale & Layout = 125% or some TVs have scaling options in there picture settings or scaling options in Graphics card settings for example Nvidia Control Panel or ATI Radeon Catylist Control Center.

Hi Daz,

My monitor is a 32" 1440p monitor and the scaling is set to 100% so I presume it won't work with my setup which is unfortunate as I really like the look of it, will you or is it possible to design it for other resolutions and scaling options in the future?

I will be looking at doing other versions for different screen resolutions but it will be a long process as my theme contains over 600 files to edit, most of which are the videoborder views for wheelgamesview.

Hey @daz Like the other guys I have issues with the resolution. I was using play box 3 since you released it on the forums. Its a great theme. But since I got my new 50inch TV none of your themes look right, I have tried changing to different resolutions but no joy. Im assuming the reason why is because you use precise numbers, Width="500" or Margin="-100,0,200,0" etc etc

I was hoping, if you build another theme, you would consider using the community theme editor, the reason why is because it has built in converters that will automatically scale your theme to other screen resolutions so you "should" only need to build the theme once.

If, like me, you find it easier to work with xaml than the theme editor, what you could try... start a new theme with the editor, move some stuff about, add some widths and heights etc etc. Save the theme and take a look at the generated xaml's. You will see, for example, the width will look like this:

Width="{Binding ElementName=Canvas,Path=ActualWidth,Converter={StaticResource ScalePropertyValue},ConverterParameter=W;500;1920}"

This will pass values to, in this case, the "ScalePropertyValue" converter.

The first part:

Binding ElementName=Canvas,Path=ActualWidth

this will pass the current width of the canvas to the converter. On your screen that could be 1000 but on my screen it could be 1100.

The last part:

ConverterParameter=W;500;1920

W: this tells the converter its a width property. Would be "H" for height or "X" for x coordinates etc etc.

500: this is the width we want the control to be. So if we wanted an image to be 500 pixels wide, we would add 500 here.

1920: The width of the screen the theme is created on.

When the theme is loaded on a screen with different resolutions the converter will "do the math" to resize the control to fit the different screen resolution. 

Instead of using the actual theme editor you could just edit the generated xaml files but use the converters instead of precise numbers. The converters can also automatically scale margins, thickness, fontsize etc etc

You may already know all this and your more than welcome to tell me to F off. But I thought I would mention it as I always use your themes but cant anymore. Anyway thanks for the time you put into your themes.

Thanks for all the input jayjay, much appreciated. I will try one of these methods as it would be better than redesigning in different resolutions. Not too sure if the community theme Creater has support for the new wall views as the latest play box theme relies heavily on the flowcontrol within them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daz said:

Thanks for all the input jayjay, much appreciated. I will try one of these methods as it would be better than redesigning in different resolutions. Not too sure if the community theme Creater has support for the new wall views as the latest play box theme relies heavily on the flowcontrol within them.

It doesn't yet, but it will in the future.

For now you could always design it in the editor, and manually add the new wall view code into the published xaml.

Reach out if you need any help.

• Like 1

This is my new favorite launch box theme it does have some crippling problems though unfortunately but the theme is so good I'm probably going to still use it.

Issues:
-scale has lots of broken scaling issues on 1920x1080 100% scale haven't tried it at 4k yet which is what my lanch box will be going on hopefully you can get a working 4k version I use wall view a lot to view lots of games at a time and titles would be nice as well.
-Really laggy at times when browsing through consoles, sometimes even desyncs and becomes unresponsive with wrong menus stuck on screen.

Overall my current favourite theme for big box please keep polishing this one! so good!

Hola que tal,porque en la actualiacion de la version 5 los iconos de las plataformas se ven grande,puedes decirme como corregirlo a como estaban antes de la actualizacion,se veian pequeños,disculpa y muhas graciaspor tu ayuda.