LaunchBox Community Forums

Nintendo Switch 3D Box Template (GIMP) 1.3

(1 review)

3 Screenshots

About This File

XCF template for GIMP. Many thanks to @damageinc86 for providing the original PSD template from this GDrive (shared by Gregory Booth).

Cover Instructions:

1. Scale image to 940px (height).
  2. Add as new layer under Cover group.
  3. Align cover to top and bottom of spine.
  4. Use Unified Transform Tool to snap corners to the guidelines.
  5. (optional) Use the Cover Features (icon/ratings/logos) if the cover does not already have them. 

Spine Instructions:

1. Create new text layer (Text Tool) under Spine group (font = Mark Pro Bold, size = 20px).
  2. Rotate text to 90-degrees (Rotate Tool).
  3. Snap to spine text guideline.
  4. Use spine logo for specific game.

Additional Notes:

• You can also watch the helpful instructional video from the GDrive. It was originally for Photoshop, but the process for transforming the cover is similar.
  • GIMP 2.10.36 (stable) does not support non-destructive text editing yet, but it is an upcoming feature for 2.99.18 (dev). For now, you need to create a new text layer every time you want to change the text content.

The outcome is very similar to this collection:

Edited by k_rollo
Added link to related download.

What's New in Version 1.3   See changelog

Released

Changed primary screenshot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

Drakkorcia

0 of 1 member found this review helpful 0 / 1 member

Instructions make zero sense unless you know how to use GIMP already. Photoshop tutorial is for photoshop. Written instructions are vague. This would be great if someone put the effort into making a video tutorial for using GIMP. Until then, it may not be of help to those without graphic design skills.

Response from the author:

Of course, this was made for people who already knew how to use GIMP. It's obviously not made for people with 0 skills. 🙄

Having said that, I also never used GIMP (or Photoshop) before, but I managed to do it using the same Photoshop tutorial with a bit of common sense. I simply uploaded this along the way in case it helped others.

Your incompetence is your fault. Meanwhile, I can now happily make any Switch 3D box art I like, and you still can't. Good luck with that. 😛

Link to review