LaunchBox Community Forums

Two Issues (Updating LB and Paths)

teasea

Hi, I have been successfully using LaunchBox 4.1 for some time and overall I'm very pleased with it. However, I recently noticed the software had been updated...but my copy does not do a check for updates when it launches. Can I force this, or instead just download the installer and overwrite my old installation without losing the pretty large database I've got going? My second question relates to adding games. I set up a category for my PS2 games, added the emulator, etc. However, when I wish to add a new game to LaunchBox, I click "add" and choose the right emulator, then click the Browse button next to "ROM file" to navigate to the ISO. The annoying part is that I have to then navigate to another drive and down through several directories to find my PS2 ISOs, as LaunchBox seems to always default to its own directory. Is there some way to set specific folders for specific systems/emulators in order to avoid this? Many thanks,

Hi teasea. LaunchBox should have auto-checking for a newer version enabled by default. See Tools, Options, Updates to check the updates box setting. However, I remember coming across an issue with update notification when I was playing around with old versions some time back. I just rechecked several old versions and Version 4.1 is not showing me the New Version available box on startup, even with it enabled to do so. This may be why you've been left in the dark concerning updates. I'm not sure if this is a bug with 4.1, as 4.0 and 4.2 (even 3.2) prompts you that a newer version is available. Might be best to wait for Jason to read your topic and see what he comes up with to make things as easy as possible for you.

Hi @teasea, if ever you have a problem updating, you can always just download the latest version from the website and install over top of your existing installation. All settings and games and everything else will be kept in that situation. I would advise making a backup just in case, however, just because it's such a big jump between 4.1 and 5.5. There may have been an issue with the 4.1 updater if I recall correctly. You can change the games folder for particular platforms under Tools > Manage Platforms. This may only be available in later versions than 4.1. I believe it should default you to the correct folder once that is set.