LaunchBox Community Forums

Issue with adding cross-platform games

kyberesh

So after finding LaunchBox linked from a forum, I have fell in love with this software. I have found one thing really quarky and requiring a lot of manual rework. When I am mass adding ROMs from a system (e.g., Nintendo Wii) that exist for other platforms (e.g., Cars 2), it tends to find the same game from another platform (e.g., PC) instead of the intended platform. I would have expected if I opt to add games it would only add games from that specified platform. I have found it tends to be a bigger issue with newer platforms where there are a lot of cross-platform games, such as the PS2 or Wii. It would be really helpful if when I add for a system it only allows entry into the LauchBox database for that specified platform instead of whatever the TheGamesDB provides. As a related topic, is there any way to organize games that weren't found in some simpler way, or perhaps provide output on the mass-add screen of the titles that weren't found in the database? If I have a lot of games it becomes harder to scroll through the pictures finding the grey misses. This is really just a minor annoyance to the previous issue.

Hey kyberesh, thanks for joining us. I have a platform filter in place that tries to search TheGamesDB for only the platform that you've specified in the ROM import dialog (I do a search on common names and try to map them up to the proper platform on TheGamesDB). What were you putting into the Platform field for your imports? I can add them to my list; maybe you thought of something I didn't for your platform names? It sounds like what's happening is it's unable to determine the proper platform to use on TheGamesDB from the platform(s) that you've entered.

I have had a similar problem and I don't think your platform filter is the issue. I have scraped several games that are cross platform in a single go and around 1 out of 3 are wrong. This is using standard platform names that, I am almost be certain, you will have thought of. Besides the majority were scraped correctly. I have had these types of issues in the past and I think this may be a problem on TheGamesDB end and unfortunately out of your hands.

Hmm, I'm curious to know what search criteria are causing an issue. I actually don't think I've seen that issue yet. Do you guys have an example? Are you able to replicate it? It's most likely an issue with TheGamesDB, yes, but I'd like to give them any information I can to help them get it fixed. I tried adding the platform to the end of the title search, but I seem to be getting worse results that way, unfortunately. I did do some testing with Cars 2 for Wii; if I do a ROM import with a ROM called Cars 2 and specify Nintendo Wii as the platform, it is finding the proper Cars 2 for Wii for me without a problem. It is possible that we have another localization issue or something that is causing differing results. Are either of you able to replicate the issue with an example? Kyber, what did you put in for platform when importing your ROMs?

I will run some tests later today and see if I can duplicate the issue. For me, this is just one of those things that sometimes happens, it is not really a big deal, I always expect to do some manual editing after mass scraping anything, it is never perfect.

OK, so I just ran some tests. I created 20 iso files that I believe are cross platform (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube). I kept the names generic and without tags. Game List I then imported them to LaunchBox under all 3 platforms (deleting the LaunchBox.xml file after each test). Following are the results: PS2 PS2 (1) PS2 (2) PS2 (3) Gamecube NGC (1) NGC (2) NGC (3) Xbox (Note: I understand xbox emulation is almost non-existent, but I thought it would still benefit the test) Xbox (1) Xbox (2) Xbox (3) Looking at the results, both PS2 and Xbox did not have any incorrect imports, but had many that failed to scrape. Gamecube was the worst, with several games scraped from a variety of platforms (PS2, Dreamcast, PC, Wii, etc.) Also note, that this was a quick test, I did not verify that these games were in fact on all three platforms, I did this from memory. I can do more accurate tests if needed, but I don't have time right now.

Well no kidding, good find. Apparently I somehow left Nintendo GameCube off of my list of platform names to convert! That would explain why everything else was working well enough, but not GameCube. I'll definitely get that fixed for the next release. Still don't understand how I managed to miss it, considering I thought I copied and pasted the list from TheGamesDB. Oh well, now we can get it fixed. :)