LaunchBox Community Forums

Emulation - Computer Hardware and Accuracy

SentaiBrad

Hi all!  I'm trying to put together the most future-proof PC build I can afford ATM and wanted to ask for some input/thoughts.  Here are the specs (I have to wait a bit for the CPU to release):

Ryzen 9 5900X CPU

ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wifi) Mobo

EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified

64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz DDR4 (CAS 16)

Sabrent 2 TB Rocket Q M.2 NVMe 2280 SSD

EVGA Supernova 1000 G5 PSU

Corsair 175r Carbide Case

I don't have experience overclocking, but set on a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black RGB CPU cooler due to the inherent risks and required maintenance schedule of water cooling.

Does this sound like a good starting point, esp for RPCS3 and Xenia?

Should I consider just buying a high-end Ryzen 3000 series instead of waiting for the 5900X to hit?

Is it necessary or advisable to take the plunge for a new GPU with more power than my 980 Ti?  I still get great performance on my current rig from which I will pull this GPU.

Any input and feedback is uber appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/19/2020 at 9:25 PM, jasonmcclure48 said:

Hello All,

I am fixing to buy a large tv to use with my computer to play my games on.  My question is, will older systems like NES, etc. look good on a large tv and is there anything I need to do in launchbox or any other programs needed to make them look better?  Thanks in advance,

Jason

I think the question of will they look good is subjective.  They will look like older games blown up, so will look "rougher" than you probably imagine.  There are lots of things you can do to change the look though some may frown on this, I like having these options.  If you are using say Retroarch, there are lots of options with shaders to change the look, you can for example emulate the games displaying on a CRT TV which will make them look more authentic.

This is probably a whole subject, so worth searching through to find some ideas of Retroarch and the settings you can tweak.

Here are a few examples of different looks you might apply.

RetroArch Screenshot 2021.02.23 - 23.58.55.88.png

RetroArch Screenshot 2021.02.23 - 23.59.22.58.png

RetroArch Screenshot 2021.02.23 - 23.59.49.29.png