LaunchBox Community Forums

launchbox sometimes fails to get the Releasedate

Neon32

Does this happen even when TheGamesDB records have a release date? Their database is far from complete, so you need to check when info is missing that it is actually there in the first place. If not, you can create an account and add it yourself. If the data is there and it still doesn't fetch it, you need to wait for Jason (the dev) to come online. He will investigate further. Welcome to the forums btw Smile

yep this happens even when they have a release date . heres a pic of a game i just added
Spoiler
http://i.imgur.com/GKyqzFY.png
and also , i have been adding info to their database as trafficcone. so i guess i will have to wait for Jason .
bd00 said Welcome to the forums btw Smile

Hey again conehead; what version of Windows are you running? I can't seem to replicate the issue. Does it happen every time for certain games? Does it populate at all for any games? It's possible that it has something to do with your custom theme, believe it or not. But we should fix it either way. Thanks, Jason

Oh, just thought of something. If I remember correctly there might be a delay from when you update information in TheGamesDB to when you can download the updated data. So if you had just updated the release date, for instance, it might just be a few minutes before the import would download it. Could that be the issue?

Jason Carr said Hey again conehead; what version of Windows are you running? I can't seem to replicate the issue. Does it happen every time for certain games? Does it populate at all for any games? It's possible that it has something to do with your custom theme, believe it or not. But we should fix it either way. Thanks, Jason
it seems that it happens on some games only Confused and im sure its not because of my custom theme.
Jason Carr said Oh, just thought of something. If I remember correctly there might be a delay from when you update information in TheGamesDB to when you can download the updated data. So if you had just updated the release date, for instance, it might just be a few minutes before the import would download it. Could that be the issue?
and by adding i meant adding it to the launchbox library and not the gamesdb database. but the release date cannot be retrieved even after clicking the "Update notes from gamedb.net" option.

i found out whats happening : Lbox gets the launch dates for games whose name appears with release date like :"Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Nintendo Game Boy Advance) (05/06/2003)" when clicked on [search the Gamesdb.net] button . so got any ideas ?

i really think that this is a problem related to gamedb database and not the LB but anyway i'll explain this : it seems that LBox automatically retrieves the release dates of games whose name appears on the search field such that they have the release date right besides their name ie like Ultimate Fighter shown in this pic
Spoiler
or like -> Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Nintendo Game Boy Advance) (05/06/2003) and if a games name come such that they do not have date next to their name like Ultimate Spider-man shown in the above pic, LB fails to automatically retrieve the date
Spoiler
even though they have a release date in the gamesdb website .
Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...
Gotta say, this is really strange. For all the examples here, where you don't get a release date, I'm getting the release date just fine on my machine (both in the drop down list and upon selection). So that's pretty odd. I wonder what the difference is. I suppose it could be some sort of random glitch on TheGamesDB, but I don't think that's likely since this issue seems to happen often for you, but never for me. Are you from the US? What are you language settings set to? Thanks, conehead.

I get this too. Being a software engineer myself, I'd hazard a guess it's a date conversion problem. All the ones which work can be interpreted as either a DD/MM/YYYY or MM/DD/YYYY date format (although obviously the former would result in an incorrect date conversion), whereas the failing 09/19/2005 example can only be interpreted using a MM/DD/YYYY format.

mawby said I get this too. Being a software engineer myself, I'd hazard a guess it's a date conversion problem. All the ones which work can be interpreted as either a DD/MM/YYYY or MM/DD/YYYY date format (although obviously the former would result in an incorrect date conversion), whereas the failing 09/19/2005 example can only be interpreted using a MM/DD/YYYY format.
I doubt this is the problem, because TGDB uses a drop-down calendar when inputting the release date, keeping it uniform across all the games in the database.

I just Solved this . in the gamesdb website the release date are stored in the format MM/DD/YY , but if your systems date format is set as DD/MM/YY then this problem occurs because : if a game has the Release date 19/08/2012(DD/MM/YYYY) and your computer is set in the format MM/DD/YYYY 19 appears in the MM section which is impossible so Lbox doesnt retrieve/shows the release date. so all yopu have to do is change the date format in your computer to MM/DD/YY //DD/MM/YY is used in many countries, so i hope Jason could clear this glitch..