LaunchBox Community Forums

Error on Launch Box 3.5 start-up after power outage

ps4isthefuture

Hi everyone. The following error now comes up every time I start Launch Box 3.5: System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid. at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement, Boolean validateImageData) at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream) at LaunchBox.Caching.ImageCache.PrepopulateImageCache() at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart() It forces a shut down of LB. This showed up just after a long power outage. I was updating images into one of my Fairchild Channel F roms when the power cut for about 10 hours. The error has been there from the first start-up until now. I'm trying to avoid a fresh install as most of my game so far have had to be put in manually because of the emulators or items not in the gamedb. I have loaded about 1100 games in so far and have another 5100 to go. I really don't want to start again and don't feel like working in hyperspin at the moment because that takes ages to add each game and everything that goes with it. Anyway hope someone has some good news for an answer. Cheers!

I tried using a backup of the launchbox.xml and no change. I reinstalled back to 3.2 and same issue. I used a backup from just before the power outage and it worked...until it said would you like to update and then the following error was displayed: System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid. at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement, Boolean validateImageData) at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream) at LaunchBox.Game.get_Image() at LaunchBox.GamesControl.Application_Idle(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context) at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun() at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel() at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(String[] commandLine) at LaunchBox.Program.SingleInstanceApplication.Run(Form form, StartupNextInstanceEventHandler startupHandler) at LaunchBox.Program.Main(String[] args) I have no idea what's going on. My XML is only 5.26MB and my image folder is 6.74GB

That's... odd. It does seem like an XML error. If you still have the messed up one and a different machine, install LB and put the XML file there. Operate it like you were and that could tell you. Have you tried the earliest XML backup as well? It doesn't keep a lot but... If it is an XML corruption, upload the corrupted XML. Jason may be able to see the affected area's that cause the corruption.... MAYBE. I don't know how easy that would be or if at possible but if its able to be done it could save you all that time. I don't make any promises on his behalf though. :P Edit: Actually as I just typed that, if you know the last few games that were being imported, look in the XML and go down to the games that were latest. Delete their lines in the XML.

SentaiBrad said That's... odd. It does seem like an XML error. If you still have the messed up one and a different machine, install LB and put the XML file there. Operate it like you were and that could tell you. Have you tried the earliest XML backup as well? It doesn't keep a lot but... If it is an XML corruption, upload the corrupted XML. Jason may be able to see the affected area's that cause the corruption.... MAYBE. I don't know how easy that would be or if at possible but if its able to be done it could save you all that time. I don't make any promises on his behalf though. :P Edit: Actually as I just typed that, if you know the last few games that were being imported, look in the XML and go down to the games that were latest. Delete their lines in the XML.
SentaiBrad, Thanks. I just renamed the the folder and installed 3.5 again, replaced the xml with my old one and it works no errors yet. Now I am copying over my images and see if every thing is still ok. I did notice a few items not in the new installed LB that where in the other, like the two directX files, AeroWizzard.dll,Interop.WMPLib.dll, and dosbox.conf. Just so you know. Will update you shortly if the error is gone or not after the images are transferred over.

ps4isthefuture said
SentaiBrad said That's... odd. It does seem like an XML error. If you still have the messed up one and a different machine, install LB and put the XML file there. Operate it like you were and that could tell you. Have you tried the earliest XML backup as well? It doesn't keep a lot but... If it is an XML corruption, upload the corrupted XML. Jason may be able to see the affected area's that cause the corruption.... MAYBE. I don't know how easy that would be or if at possible but if its able to be done it could save you all that time. I don't make any promises on his behalf though. :P Edit: Actually as I just typed that, if you know the last few games that were being imported, look in the XML and go down to the games that were latest. Delete their lines in the XML.
SentaiBrad, Thanks. I just renamed the the folder and installed 3.5 again, replaced the xml with my old one and it works no errors yet. Now I am copying over my images and see if every thing is still ok. I did notice a few items not in the new installed LB that where in the other, like the two directX files, AeroWizzard.dll,Interop.WMPLib.dll, and dosbox.conf. Just so you know. Will update you shortly if the error is gone or not after the images are transferred over.
Because as of a few versions ago all of the files that were previously separate are now all contained in the exe. You no longer need them; just the exe. There may be a conflict there so make sure to just keep the files that LB creates.

SentaiBrad said
ps4isthefuture said
Because as of a few versions ago all of the files that were previously separate are now all contained in the exe. You no longer need them; just the exe. There may be a conflict there so make sure to just keep the files that LB creates.
Everything is great and working fine. Just did a fresh install of 3.5, transferred over the xml, and all the images. Strange but everything is working great now. At least you guys have this in the logs if it comes up again. But computers have so many variables it may never come up again. Thank you for your help!

If you guys ever need any help with anything feel free to contact me. Things that are tedious, time consuming, and kind of repetitive. Things that someone else can handle as an extra pair of hands so you guys can concentrate on items within the project that are more demanding on your talent versus spending your time on mind numbing task. Frankly I don't like to do mind numbing task either but I'd like to contribute if I am able. I don't have programming experience but I seem to catch on to new endeavors fairly quick I believe. Just thought I'd offer to help Jason, yourself, and the others working on this project. Cheers!

Hey ps4, glad you got this resolved. I'm pretty sure it was probably due to a faulty image (half-downloaded image) either in the cache or directly in the images folder. Sorry I got to this so late. I'm putting in better error handling here for future versions. Thanks for your help on the forums so far; we certainly could use another regular to help people out. It's much appreciated.