LaunchBox Community Forums

default background art / music per platform

p.bizzy

A bit of an odd request and certainly not critical, but I believe one of the main things launchbox currently lacks as opposed to say... starting up the old xbox when you're having a nostalgia party is the way xbox would present the emulators when you selected a platform. There would be music playing (often a rock version or something of a main game that represents the system) as well as having a default image of the system itself until you selected a game. Competing frontends like Hyperspin also do something similar. I think allowing a default background image and music as you select a different platform (until a game was selected) would be easy(maybe?) to implement and add to the 'excitement' factor overall.

p.bizzy said A bit of an odd request and certainly not critical, but I believe one of the main things launchbox currently lacks as opposed to say... starting up the old xbox when you're having a nostalgia party is the way xbox would present the emulators when you selected a platform. There would be music playing (often a rock version or something of a main game that represents the system) as well as having a default image of the system itself until you selected a game. Competing frontends like Hyperspin also do something similar. I think allowing a default background image and music as you select a different platform (until a game was selected) would be easy(maybe?) to implement and add to the 'excitement' factor overall.
Jason and myself have talked about both of those things and more a few times. We want to include console imagery, music per game, possible video integration etc. I was the one really pushing for that... xD but its nice to see that someone else wants something very similar to what we are thinking of. Though, the music and video integration would most likely be Premium features. I'm not saying they WILL be premium features, but they most likely will be as its not crucial for these to be there. Console images and adding some other imagery in different ways is would probably be a non-premium feature. This is stuff we have talked about, but its still Jason's call as to what he wants to do first if at all. He did seem like he wanted to get to these though. As a time frame, I also can't give that. -Brad

Can't you already have music per game? Though, I haven't tried it myself, maybe I'm confused at what that context menu option does. As far as video, I don't see that being worth the effort as much as it sounds. Some MAME frontends have video integration with full sets of premade video you can drop-in for it and it never really took off. I suspect it may have to do with so much disk space for so little use. Not to mention possible slowdowns to the already expanding interface. But otherwise, good to see it's all on track at some point. :D I made sure to go premium as soon as it came out. All I need to do is figure out how to mass import the dosbox collection (exodos) and the (playable) mame set and my launchbox setup will be complete!

p.bizzy said Can't you already have music per game? Though, I haven't tried it myself, maybe I'm confused at what that context menu option does. As far as video, I don't see that being worth the effort as much as it sounds. Some MAME frontends have video integration with full sets of premade video you can drop-in for it and it never really took off. I suspect it may have to do with so much disk space for so little use. Not to mention possible slowdowns to the already expanding interface. But otherwise, good to see it's all on track at some point. :D I made sure to go premium as soon as it came out. All I need to do is figure out how to mass import the dosbox collection (exodos) and the (playable) mame set and my launchbox setup will be complete!
DOS Importing is Jason's black horse and it is very hard to implement in a good way. Even when it does come out, its not going to be perfect and its going to take me testing it to hell and back so he can refine it. You can set music per game, but you have to manually set it. What we've talked about is like how LB gets you data and images, it gets you music and video as well. We wouldn't have it download though, what we talked about actually was just being able to stream it. We would probably give the option if you wanted to download the music as well but build in a streaming sort of functionality is closer to what we theorized because of size concerns.

• 1 month later...