LaunchBox Community Forums

Accessing Filter via keyboard

ianrace

So far, I have been very pleased with this launcher. It provides a very attractive and simple interface for accessing my collection. There is one thing I haven't been able to figure out, however. Is it possible to access the Filter pane on the left using only the keyboard? So far, the only thing the arrow keys are capable of is moving around the main area. I can't get the selection to move over to Filter pane without first grabbing either a mouse or a 360 controller, the latter of which must first be activated before starting LaunchBox. Once I have the cursor over in the left pane, usually via mouse, there is no way to move it back again that I have found using just the keyboard. I'm assuming at the moment that there is a magic keyboard combo just haven't discovered yet. If not, I would request that this functionality be added. I have a remote control programmed with FLIRC (software that allows a remote control to emulate a keyboard, for those who might be interested) to navigate my HTPC. While I do use a 360 controller for certain games, when playing emulated games I prefer to use a retro game controller appropriate to the system, and these do not appear to be supported by your software. Otherwise, I have been very happy with how LaunchBox is coming along.

ianrace said So far, I have been very pleased with this launcher. It provides a very attractive and simple interface for accessing my collection. There is one thing I haven't been able to figure out, however. Is it possible to access the Filter pane on the left using only the keyboard? So far, the only thing the arrow keys are capable of is moving around the main area. I can't get the selection to move over to Filter pane without first grabbing either a mouse or a 360 controller, the latter of which must first be activated before starting LaunchBox. Once I have the cursor over in the left pane, usually via mouse, there is no way to move it back again that I have found using just the keyboard. I'm assuming at the moment that there is a magic keyboard combo just haven't discovered yet. If not, I would request that this functionality be added. I have a remote control programmed with FLIRC (software that allows a remote control to emulate a keyboard, for those who might be interested) to navigate my HTPC. While I do use a 360 controller for certain games, when playing emulated games I prefer to use a retro game controller appropriate to the system, and these do not appear to be supported by your software. Otherwise, I have been very happy with how LaunchBox is coming along.
At present, no there is no real way to get to the filters list using your keyboard. What key combination do you think would be easiest? The reason why so few controllers work is because of the API used. The fact is, 360 controllers are everywhere. A lot of people have wired ones or bluetooth devices to pair them to their PC. The PS4 controller also uses the same API, and the PS3 controller will work if you tell its software to emulate a 360 pad. Any other controller that uses this API should also be supported as well. Personally I use my PS4 controller, its got a good DPad which I need for most older games that just used that, the sticks work great for anything else with a thumbstick and it literally matches the PS1 and PS2. The N64 and Gamecube are still a bit... odd to play on another controller, but that is the case with any other controller you use unless you get a USB N64 and/or Gamecube controller... which I think I am going to have to do.

My wife and I are a bit OCD when it comes to old consoles. When I sit down to a Genesis game, I have a Genesis controller in my hands. Same for NES, SNES, Dreamcast, etc. All of them either have direct USB plugs, or adapters. And I wouldn't expect support for any of them. I'm under no illusions about the controller support, believe me. I only plug them in when I sit down to a retro game. Regardless of which controller I have plugged in, I use my remote control for the actual selection. To answer your other question concerning which keyboard combination I might find easiest... the Ecs key doesn't seem to be visibly used for anything. Would that be possible? Failing that, how about Ctrl, Right Arrow. I could program that to a button very easily. As far as getting back to the main game selection, why not just have it trigger with the Enter key?

A quick update: Somehow, I missed the check box that enables all controllers plugged into the computer to control LB. Checking the box allowed me to control things with an NES controller, regardless of when the controller was plugged into the computer. Start and Select controlled the zoom, A selected a menu, and B was the enter key. The d-pad moved the mouse cursor around. I'd still like to see additional keyboard support, but this goes a long way toward solving my problem. Thanks, as always.