LaunchBox Community Forums

Unable to select game because of error

ianrace

I'm having trouble selecting "The Curse of Monkey Island" in the library. Every time I so much as hover my cursor over the box art, I get the following error message: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path. at System.IO.Path.GetFileName(String path) at LaunchBox.Data.Game.GetResourceFileFromFolder(String folder, Boolean imagesOnly) at LaunchBox.Data.Game.GetDefaultMusicPath() at LaunchBox.Controls.GamesControl.GamesControl_MouseMove(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseMove(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) I have recently moved the folder to another drive, but I have done this with other games in the past without this issue cropping up (whatever it is). Unfortunately, even after clearing the error message, LaunchBox won't let me select the game to edit to see what's wrong, or delete to start over. Any ideas on this? Is there a way to manually delete the game from the library without having to go through LaunchBox directly? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, as always.

What is the full path of the game and the full path of the art? "System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path." This tells me you tried to put a character in somewhere that Windows doesn't like. There are some that it will not type out. Other than that, there is manual XML editing if you are comfortable with that. Download Notepad++ and open up the LaunchBox.XML with it. Ctrl + F inside of the file and search 'Monkey Island' in the Find box and press search. It should move the file to the line and highlight it. Here, you can either edit the paths to see if you can fix it or you can carefully remove all of its lines. Make sure not to remove to far up or too far down as you can effect other games. Also, do the editing with Lb closed and save the XML before opening it up again.

Yes, I'm guessing somehow or other there's an invalid file name in there. Hopefully you can edit the XML file. If you could email your LaunchBox.xml file to jasondavidcarr at gmail dot com (before you fix it) then I can probably get the issue fixed in LaunchBox so that at least it lets you edit it. :)

I fixed it. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the XML file. For some reason, I initially must have set it up as a DOSBox game but with LaunchBox pointing to an old .lnk file. At a later point, I must have decided to go with ScummVM. Which meant that I deleted all of the files that DOSBox actually needed (as ScummVM just needs a few basic game files to run). I guess the .lnk pointing at non-existant files confused LaunchBox. Anyway, to cut a long story short (too late), I edited the XML file so that Curse was properly listed as a ScummVM game with all directories properly listed and accounted for. Thanks again for the help.