LaunchBox Community Forums

Visual Gameboy Advance Emulator dosnt Launch Games on Launch Box

allan_rex92

I have set VBA Emulator to launch Zelda - Link's Awakening which is a GBC rom, however when i try to launch it its doesn't launch the game and gives me an error saying unsupported file type, I have tried different commandline but nothing seems to work, I've attached image od the erroe

allan_rex92 said I have set VBA Emulator to launch Zelda - Link's Awakening which is a GBC rom, however when i try to launch it its doesn't launch the game and gives me an error saying unsupported file type, I have tried different commandline but nothing seems to work, I've attached image od the erroe
When I see that error, my first thought to ask is, is the file format set correctly? That is, is Links Awakening DX end in .gbc? This is, as far as I know, the only accepted GBC file format. The next thing I would say is, are you using just VBA or VBA-M? VBA-M is a more up-to-date and feature rich emulator. http://vba-m.com/index.php?ind=downloads&op=section_view&idev=3 I would suggest using this. Links Awakening and all other GBC games launch just fine with no command line parameters needed for myself. -Brad

SentaiBrad said
allan_rex92 said I have set VBA Emulator to launch Zelda - Link's Awakening which is a GBC rom, however when i try to launch it its doesn't launch the game and gives me an error saying unsupported file type, I have tried different commandline but nothing seems to work, I've attached image od the erroe
When I see that error, my first thought to ask is, is the file format set correctly? That is, is Links Awakening DX end in .gbc? This is, as far as I know, the only accepted GBC file format. The next thing I would say is, are you using just VBA or VBA-M? VBA-M is a more up-to-date and feature rich emulator. http://vba-m.com/index.php?ind=downloads&op=section_view&idev=3 I would suggest using this. Links Awakening and all other GBC games launch just fine with no command line parameters needed for myself. -Brad
Hey thanks for the reply... I Even tried the Emulator Link that you gave, its still giving me the same error. And to answer your question i'm currently using VBA-Link :- http://www.vbalink.info/download-gba-emulator.htm I Specifically need to use this emulator cuz i wanna play the game Legend of Zelda - Four Swords(GBC), and this game required atleast 2 players to play, so i need to use the 'Link' function under the options so i can open 2 windows of VBA-Link and link them with eachother for two player game play.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I don't know if it will help or not, but this sounds similar to a problem I was having, so check out the thread I started as it may help... https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/troubleshooting/launchbox-is-exactly-what-i-wanted-and-i-was-thinking-of-going-premium-but-having-some-config-issues I had the exact same problem with GBA games during the rest of my config problems.

allan_rex92 said Hey thanks for the reply... I Even tried the Emulator Link that you gave, its still giving me the same error. And to answer your question i'm currently using VBA-Link :- http://www.vbalink.info/download-gba-emulator.htm I Specifically need to use this emulator cuz i wanna play the game Legend of Zelda - Four Swords(GBC), and this game required atleast 2 players to play, so i need to use the 'Link' function under the options so i can open 2 windows of VBA-Link and link them with eachother for two player game play.
Can you run the game on the emulator outside of Launchbox?

paladin181 said
allan_rex92 said Hey thanks for the reply... I Even tried the Emulator Link that you gave, its still giving me the same error. And to answer your question i'm currently using VBA-Link :- http://www.vbalink.info/download-gba-emulator.htm I Specifically need to use this emulator cuz i wanna play the game Legend of Zelda - Four Swords(GBC), and this game required atleast 2 players to play, so i need to use the 'Link' function under the options so i can open 2 windows of VBA-Link and link them with eachother for two player game play.
Can you run the game on the emulator outside of Launchbox?
Yes, without any problem..!

allan_rex92 said Yes I know, is can be used to play multiplayer game like the legend of zelda - four swords (GBA Version). I just wished that launchbox could launch the game properly.
Ok. But this isn't LaunchBox's fault necessarily. Not every emulator is going to work, and some emulators we needed to find a work around or alternate command line parameter. 95% of the time thus far has been a problem with the command line, which is how we launch the game. Without coding emulators directly in to LaunchBox which is way out of our scope, there is little we can do about this problem. I brought up that VBA-M can do what you would like it to because VBA-M works. I know for a fact it works because I use it. I was trying to suggest this so that you can get it to work. Use LaunchBox, an emulator that we can get to function in conjunction with LB and be able to achieve the goal you would like it to do.

Would be good to get this emulator working in LaunchBox. Does anyone know the command line parameters that it needs to work? I'm sure I could research it and get it working, but if anyone knows how to run it outside of LaunchBox via the command line, it'd save me some time. I suppose it's also possible that the emulator just won't work properly from the command line; if that's the case, then we're pretty much out of luck.