LaunchBox Community Forums

Playing older games without having to insert the CD

CadetStimpy

I have some older games (such as The Neverhood (Chronicles)) that need the CD inserted in order to play it. I found a Website (Game Copy World) that has work-arounds for many older games (including The Neverhood) that have this issue. It's usually just a small executable you run. Does anyone know any other sites, or Registry hacks, that will enable me to do this? I'd rather do Registry hacks (although they're surely different for every game, but maybe the basic principle is the same), as executables off the Internet can be spooky (despite my Anti-Virus protection).

CadetStimpy said I have some older games (such as The Neverhood (Chronicles)) that need the CD inserted in order to play it. I found a Website (Game Copy World) that has work-arounds for many older games (including The Neverhood) that have this issue. It's usually just a small executable you run. Does anyone know any other sites, or Registry hacks, that will enable me to do this? I'd rather do Registry hacks (although they're surely different for every game, but maybe the basic principle is the same), as executables off the Internet can be spooky (despite my Anti-Virus protection).
I can verify that GCW is reputable. Most of the time, older games required the disc to prove that you owned the game. If you really own the game however and just want to disable the disc check then just grab the patched exe from the site, that is going to be the best way generally. I haven't heard of really doing Registry hacks for this sort of thing that work. If the game requires the disc inserted to stream data off of the disc, then you need to also figure out a workaround to this. Generally speaking, all you need to do is copy the pertinent files from the disc to the installed directory in the proper folders and you could be good to go. So its just really a game by game basis. Don't forget to backup the original files just in case.