LaunchBox Community Forums

In the news: GOG Galaxy gaming service (watchout Steam!)

CadetStimpy

I am an alpha tester since the beginning, and I like it very much because the development of Galaxy is almost like LaunchBox. They really hear the community and they implement a lot of features suggested by the community. Hopefully this create a healthier market where Steam is like Goliath and Origin and GOG Galaxy are raising slowly. I don't think this is a direct competitor of LaunchBox because LaunchBox have features that GOG Galaxy probably will never implement.

CliveBarker said I am an alpha tester since the beginning, and I like it very much because the development of Galaxy is almost like LaunchBox. They really hear the community and they implement a lot of features suggested by the community. Hopefully this create a healthier market where Steam is like Goliath and Origin and GOG Galaxy are raising slowly. I don't think this is a direct competitor of LaunchBox because LaunchBox have features that GOG Galaxy probably will never implement.
I've been Alpha testing but I didn't hear anything about achievements, this is new to me. So, I am getting Witcher 3 for free because I bought a GTX 970, and my friend told me it would redeem on GOG. I was mad, I am an achievement oriented person. As well I like steam cards. I don't hate steam, I love steam. If they give me achievements with GOG Galaxy though, I will be happier. My hope is that games can get updated in the future to allow for more achievements on the platform. DOSBox games most likely excluded unless they develop a competent wrapper for DOSBox and intercept specific calls... but that might be way to complicated for its potentially less return. If Galaxy turns out to be a Steam client but oriented towards the games they Publish and / or Older Games with a lot of similar features, I might be swayed to Galaxy as my 'old games platform'. I more or less already do, but lets take Space Quest for example. I got it on Steam, neither of the 6 games launch. I can gaurentee they lauch on GOG though. Wrap that together with Steam like features and I will be all over it.

SentaiBrad said
CliveBarker said I am an alpha tester since the beginning, and I like it very much because the development of Galaxy is almost like LaunchBox. They really hear the community and they implement a lot of features suggested by the community. Hopefully this create a healthier market where Steam is like Goliath and Origin and GOG Galaxy are raising slowly. I don't think this is a direct competitor of LaunchBox because LaunchBox have features that GOG Galaxy probably will never implement.
I've been Alpha testing but I didn't hear anything about achievements, this is new to me. So, I am getting Witcher 3 for free because I bought a GTX 970, and my friend told me it would redeem on GOG. I was mad, I am an achievement oriented person. As well I like steam cards. I don't hate steam, I love steam. If they give me achievements with GOG Galaxy though, I will be happier. My hope is that games can get updated in the future to allow for more achievements on the platform. DOSBox games most likely excluded unless they develop a competent wrapper for DOSBox and intercept specific calls... but that might be way to complicated for its potentially less return. If Galaxy turns out to be a Steam client but oriented towards the games they Publish and / or Older Games with a lot of similar features, I might be swayed to Galaxy as my 'old games platform'. I more or less already do, but lets take Space Quest for example. I got it on Steam, neither of the 6 games launch. I can gaurentee they lauch on GOG though. Wrap that together with Steam like features and I will be all over it.
Right now you can get achievements in Witcher 2, most of the newer games will get achievements too. Just imagine if older games implement achievements...oh man. I also love achievements, imagine Planescape Torment with achievements and such. I hope they find a way to encourage developers to implement and update their games. Also GOG has an excellent DRM free program, where you can redeem your Steam STALKER and WITCHER games at GOG and obtain DRM free copies at no cost.

CliveBarker said
SentaiBrad said
Right now you can get achievements in Witcher 2, most of the newer games will get achievements too. Just imagine if older games implement achievements...oh man. I also love achievements, imagine Planescape Torment with achievements and such. I hope they find a way to encourage developers to implement and update their games. Also GOG has an excellent DRM free program, where you can redeem your Steam STALKER and WITCHER games at GOG and obtain DRM free copies at no cost.
I've used GOG since it came out but I always had more reasons to use Steam except for older games.

I got a big slap in the face the first time I wanted to share my games with my son. I have a huge Steam collection, and he has a computer in his room. Suddenly I realized we both couldn't be gaming at the same time, even for different games, because all my games were in the same account. Suck. Tremendous amounts of suck. If I had bought physical copies of those games, we'd be able to play them at the same time. But no, not with Steam. This turned my enthusiastic view of Steam into one of much more disdain. GOG, of course, gives me no problem whatsoever, so ever since I discovered it I've been really pleased with it. I only wish they had a larger selection of games, and more of the newer games. But obviously that's not their fault. I got an alpha invitation for Galaxy too, and was pleasantly surprised by it. It's really nice and convenient, so much better than the previous ad-hoc approach. So yeah, I'm only wishing I could abandon Steam for new games altogether. But the fact of the matter is, most games only come out on Steam. But I see GOG Galaxy as being the missing piece that might be able to take GOG more mainstream. Let's hope.

Jason Carr said I got a big slap in the face the first time I wanted to share my games with my son. I have a huge Steam collection, and he has a computer in his room. Suddenly I realized we both couldn't be gaming at the same time, even for different games, because all my games were in the same account. Suck. Tremendous amounts of suck. If I had bought physical copies of those games, we'd be able to play them at the same time. But no, not with Steam. This turned my enthusiastic view of Steam into one of much more disdain. GOG, of course, gives me no problem whatsoever, so ever since I discovered it I've been really pleased with it. I only wish they had a larger selection of games, and more of the newer games. But obviously that's not their fault. I got an alpha invitation for Galaxy too, and was pleasantly surprised by it. It's really nice and convenient, so much better than the previous ad-hoc approach. So yeah, I'm only wishing I could abandon Steam for new games altogether. But the fact of the matter is, most games only come out on Steam. But I see GOG Galaxy as being the missing piece that might be able to take GOG more mainstream. Let's hope.
I don't mind the limitations of Steam honestly. That's probably because we hardly use the family sharing, but I don't see an inherent problem with it. I likened it back to Console carts or discs. If you have one disc and one console, unless it was multiplayer, only one person could play at once. :P Edit: I also think the limitation is there so that you don't share your library with several people and only one person buys the games. There is an inherent piracy factor to GOG saddly. Not that what you're doing in this case Jason is, but just in general.