LaunchBox Community Forums

Sega Game 1000

DOS76

But where would that meta-data be stored? If you set up a server, won't that add to your costs? And as the user base grows, price will grow too, only the payment model of LB is not recurring, but your expenses will be. I'm not sure it is a good idea.

I actually currently require a server as-is, and the server that I already have could support it. So hosting costs would theoretically go up, but it would be a long time before traffic hit that point. Currently, it costs me about $100 a month for my physical server (I have an incredibly good deal). That said, I do have plenty of concerns with this, and I have a lot of thinking/planning to do before I would attempt to approach this. However, I have been surprised by the community response, so I'm taking the concept a little bit more seriously. Moderation is the biggest concern that I have, but I do have some ideas to get past that issue.

If you're going to set up a system of mirrors, I have a Linode VPS that is not used much. I'd be willing to dedicate some bandwidth on the side to help the project. An easy way to do it would be to use couchDB, for example. I've used it in prod as a CDN/media server and it works really well, and replication is a child's play.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Jason Carr said I actually currently require a server as-is, and the server that I already have could support it. So hosting costs would theoretically go up, but it would be a long time before traffic hit that point. Currently, it costs me about $100 a month for my physical server (I have an incredibly good deal). That said, I do have plenty of concerns with this, and I have a lot of thinking/planning to do before I would attempt to approach this. However, I have been surprised by the community response, so I'm taking the concept a little bit more seriously. Moderation is the biggest concern that I have, but I do have some ideas to get past that issue.
Take a look at how fs-uae and the open amiga game database (http://oagd.net/) is connected and used. User contributions but also a direct voting system, in that way the users not only vote on the db content but also votes on the best configurations for each game. Its possible to switch, but fs-uae (the emulator) cleverly selects the topmost voted content and (most importantly) the best configuration! Just an idea on how to accomodate the moderation issue: use the contributers to actively (and inside launchbox) vote stuff up and down...

Hi @CoX, that is almost exactly what I had in mind, actually. I wasn't aware that it already existed anywhere, though; that's great to know. I'll take a look at it to see if I can streamline the idea. But yes, that is the goal. Pretty much anyone can contribute anything, but only the best data will be used by default. At least that's what we'll shoot for.