LaunchBox Community Forums

A few different RetroArch questions

DOS76

1) When using RA to emulate Wonderswan and Lynx how do you get vertical games to rotate? 2) When using a computer with multiple monitors how can I get Wonderswan and Lynx vertical games to display on my vertical monitor. 3) How will RetroArch run on lower end hardware probably nothing past 16bit maybe an attempt at N64. I want to replace some of my standalone emulators on my handheld tablet setup. 4) Does RetroArch work with touch of will I need a controller or keyboard connected to my tablet to configure it. Edit: I figured out how to rotate the screen but now I have to figure out how to set a pergame config for any vertical games so number one is partially answered.

DOS76 said 1) When using RA to emulate Wonderswan and Lynx how do you get vertical games to rotate? 2) When using a computer with multiple monitors how can I get Wonderswan and Lynx vertical games to display on my vertical monitor. 3) How will RetroArch run on lower end hardware probably nothing past 16bit maybe an attempt at N64. I want to replace some of my standalone emulators on my handheld tablet setup. 4) Does RetroArch work with touch of will I need a controller or keyboard connected to my tablet to configure it.
I would say Core Options, but if not there, there is a Rotation option under Settings -> Video. Under the same video options "Monitor Index". Use the custom config command. Save a new config with either core loaded then load the new config then make your changes. RetroArch will only run on 32bit and 64bit systems. If the current GUI is taking up too many resources or you want the lower fidelity version change the GUI options to use RGUI. Under the settings tab, Driver -> Menu Driver. Change it from XMB to RGUI. RetroArch does work with touch, I have it installed on my Android tablet. However that is a specific build, I don't know where to go and change it.

How do I make pergame configs. RetroArch is really starting to grow on me. I shines when it comes to the more obscure handheld outperforming the standalones by far with RA's video settings since last night I've converted Lynx, Wonderswan, NeoGeo Pocket and Virtual Boy and none of these systems have ever looked so good on my PC.

I have covered it in the tutorials but basically load your core, then on the first tab in RA go down to "Save New Config". This will create a new config based on the current config you had loaded and carry over the settings. So Create one based on the RA cfg and it will name the new config after the core. The new config is in the config folder. Set up the -c command after -L in Associated Platforms. Then when you open a game in LB it should load the config. From there then make the new changes specific for that core in the new config. When you're done making them make sure to go back to the first RA tab and "Save current config" or the changes will get lost. If the Wonder Swan settings are close to the lynx open up RA with no game (so right click open RA), then load the Lynx core then load the config. You can manually load a config on the load config line. With the new core loaded and the old config loaded save a new config now. It will create a new one for the Lynx core. Add the -c command for the new Lynx cfg for the Lynx core and repeat and change the few settings you need to.

You can add any config to anything you want. You can make multiple configs for the same core if you felt like it. I would create a second platform though, WonderSwan Color then WonderSwan Color Vertical. Both use the same core, but using different configs. Make sure to create a new line in Associated Platforms for the new system you add too. The reason I say to create a new system is so that you don't have to do each game 1 by 1. If you only have 1 or 2 vertical games though create a the new config for vertical then edit the individual game instead. When you edit a game, on the Emulation tab there is a Default command line box here as well. This is specifically for that game and takes precedent over the Associated Platforms -c command because it is loaded second.

Yeah I will actually need to make multiple configs since Lynx has games that rotate 90 degrees and some that rotate 270 degrees so I can name the configs anything like one name Lynx90 and the other Lynx270 and then just add them to the command line of the individual game

DOS76 said This is weird when you go into the edit form all of the command line text boxes are greyed out and you can't enter anything in them.
Because you need to use the one under emulation. Those aren't greyed out for anything else, just when you have the Emulator box checked.

I messed everything up somehow now my screen is flipped when I open video to change the rotation is is already set to normal but displaying in vertical for all games games rotated 270 are horizontal but upside down and 90 vertical games are displayed correctly and that is after deleting the config command and deleting the config file all together. Also when I use FN+F1 sometime I get the resume content screen but most of the time I get the regular start up screen and if I make any changes I can't just go back into the game. Actually all of my emulators are displaying with the wrong rotation now despite the rotation saying normal.

That is strange... The menu that pops up sometimes when you press F1 in game is just the Quick Menu. When a game is loaded it's at the very top of the first tab. You can also just press F1 again to go back to your game. As far as the rotation... I honestly have no idea. I've never needed to rotate it. If you still have the rar / zip file of RetroArch that you downloaded (I keep them around for this reason) take out a clean RetroArch.cfg and replace your existing one. Deleting it and letting RA re-populate it wont work, it will completely re-populate and you don't want that.

Yeah I figured out the quick mode part and found the main config file and changed the rotation back to normal. I'm having a tough time though getting it to work. I'm going to give it a few more tries and then I'm going to copy my install and just create different instances with different settings if need be.

Moved to a different computer to set up number two but have a new snag when changing it to my vertical monitor it displays in vertical but the game launches turned on its side still so then if I go and rotate it it only displays in horizontal on a vertical monitor figured out how to fix this by setting the Aspect Ratio Index to custom and changing Custom Viewport Width and Height. Only problem with that is now up and down are left and right and left and right are up and down so now I have to work on that.