LaunchBox Community Forums

A few different RetroArch questions

DOS76

DOS76 said Moved to a different computer to set up number two but have a new snag when changing it to my vertical monitor it displays in vertical but the game launches turned on its side still so then if I go and rotate it it only displays in horizontal on a vertical monitor figured out how to fix this by setting the Aspect Ratio Index to custom and changing Custom Viewport Width and Height. Only problem with that is now up and down are left and right and left and right are up and down so now I have to work on that.
It sounds like the monitor isn't reporting the proper orientation, so RetroArch still thinks it's a horizontal monitor. Or, the way Windows says the orientation of the monitor is is not matching up with what RetroArch reads? It could be a bug on RA's end or Microsoft's end. Either RA is reading the screen orientation wrong or Windows is reporting it wrong.

lordmonkus said The latest version of Retroarch has per game configs now as long as the core supports it. No clue if the Lynx core does or not.
This stuff as far as I can tell is bugged, it always has been. If you're using LaunchBox then I just suggest users to use the -c command in either the Associated Platforms list or when you edit a specific game.

If I go outside of LaunchBox and load the config RA displays properly on the vertical monitor but when I load the game either through RA or LB it displays wrong. I know that Windows at least in the sense of display setting in control panel and in the new settins see the monitor as being in vertical with a 1080x1920 resolution. It may be a core issue and not a RA issue because like I said the menu all displays normally.

Load the core, then the custom config, then the game manually and see if it knows what to do then? If manually loading the game for the resolution works then there might be something wrong with the configuration on the LB side. I have no clue what would fix this though if that is the case.

I already fixed by adjusting the Aspect Ratio Index to custom and changing Custom Viewport Width and Height. I have it displaying properly I just have to custom config the controls for both the 90 degree and 270 degree cfg's that I made. I haven't messed with any controller settings yet. If I run into a snag I'll be sure to ask more questions.

Got it working had to change controller settings for both the 270 and 90 degrees games to be opposite of each other for 270 games right is up, left is down, down is right and up is left 90's are the reverse of that so basically I spent a few hours working on this and I'll probably never play the games anyway but they do work and they look better in RA than they ever did in Handy. Brad in my original post when I mentioned lower end hardware and said nothing more than 16bit I wasn't referring to Windows I was talking about emulating systems that aren't higher than that. I'm actually going to try to use RA on a Windows tablet with a 64 bit Atom running 32 bit windows. I never even owned a 16 bit PC.

Ah, ok that makes sense. If you are worried about performance you can save a bit of RAM on RAM light systems by still changing the GUI to RGUI. That controller set up is just stupid. >.> Wtf RetroArch. If you want to make your 2D games look better (in my opinion), load up a game and go to the quick menu. Go down to shaders -> glsl -> Retro then choose Pixellate. Change the desired resolution (should be the last line after it's chosen) to x5 then click apply shader. Go back in game and look at how much more crisp it is! :O It doesn't work great on 3D games obviously, but anything 2D it works great. I am unsure how much more power it requires, but it does require more.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...