LaunchBox Community Forums

Regarding purchasing the premium version...

kamyk2000

I had a question Jason. I want to buy Launchbox like I said I was going to, but about the whole adding my name to the title bar thing... I want my screenname there not my billing name. Can you do that? I'd have asked privately, but the forum doesn't seem to have a PM function, and I didn't find your email. Btw, I ran across your blog while looking in your profile for contact options. Wow do you have a great voice, and musical skill. You've obviously put more time into music than I have. Out of curiosity, know any good music hosting sites for getting someone's music out there? I used to have mine up on Myspace music blogs, until they did whatever useless revamp thing they did.

kamyk2000 said I had a question Jason. I want to buy Launchbox like I said I was going to, but about the whole adding my name to the title bar thing... I want my screenname there not my billing name. Can you do that? I'd have asked privately, but the forum doesn't seem to have a PM function, and I didn't find your email. Btw, I ran across your blog while looking in your profile for contact options. Wow do you have a great voice, and musical skill. You've obviously put more time into music than I have.
Psh... I have a good voice too!!!! (joking) The License.xml, edit it with a text editor like Notepad++ and change this line Brad Cheyne That is what mine looks like. Just change that line and you should be good to go. Edit: grr, the forums took away the formatting. But look for your name a few lines down.

kamyk2000 said Sorry, was editing my post (I do that a LOT) to correct spelling and add a question. I appreciate the xml info, but since that's what you are using as "DRM" I'm not sure you want to leave that info public on the forum...
I don't care about my name being out there. Jason knows who I am and I am already a public person anyways. I have a YouTube channel where I am myself so. It's only DRM in the lightest of sense, anyone could change the look of it or easily copy the XML from someone else. As far as music sites, Bandcamp and Soundcloud are great sites for music. Soundcloud specifically I think you can post for free? Bandcamp im not 100% sure. I've bought albums off of Bandcamp however.

Brad, you can't edit the License.xml file. That's the whole point. If you change anything at all in the license file then the whole thing is invalidated, and you no longer have premium. If you could just change your name, then that would pretty much defy the entire purpose of the license. Because I've included no real DRM, the policy that unfortunately I have to stand by is that no, I can't allow changing names in the title bar. I understand that that's unfortunate for some reasons/purposes, but it's a tradeoff that helps circumvent piracy whilst not getting in the way of paying users.

Lol, boy I am "observant". I didn't realize who I was replying to. The line should have read: I appreciate the xml info, but since that's what Jason is using as "DRM" I'm not sure you want to leave that info public on the forum... Anyways, it's all good, I copied the text, so if it's removed I don't need it now. That also raises a question SentaiBrad. Are you also a musician?

Yeah, I've used both Bandcamp and Soundcloud in the past. I'm currently using Bandcamp. Thanks for the compliments on the music, btw. I enjoy putting time into that, but since I've found a significant audience with LaunchBox, I've almost completely abandoned that stuff...just too hard to get an audience, I guess.

Jason Carr said Brad, you can't edit the License.xml file. That's the whole point. If you change anything at all in the license file then the whole thing is invalidated, and you no longer have premium. If you could just change your name, then that would pretty much defy the entire purpose of the license. Because I've included no real DRM, the policy that unfortunately I have to stand by is that no, I can't allow changing names in the title bar. I understand that that's unfortunate for some reasons/purposes, but it's a tradeoff that helps circumvent piracy whilst not getting in the way of paying users.
Ok then, so my original question stands Jason. Can you give me a copy with the name Kamyk Aster, instead of my billing name?

Oh. Oh well, not like anyone is going to see it but me I suppose. I don't much care for my given name to the point where I am known even by siblings by my online name, but no biggie. Anyways gonna buy it now. And thanks guys for the tips on the music sites, I haven't really known what to do with mine since Myspace went crap. I'll check those out, and if I upload anything I'll link in here if anyone has any interest.

The website still exists, but I haven't got any idea why. I can't make heads or tails of what the profiles are any good for now. All previous content has been deleted including anything in the music profiles, and the new profiles don't seem to have any purpose or function. At least not last time I looked at it.

Well I am an idiot, but Jason raises a good point, changing the name invalidates it. No im not a musician, but I lke chiptune and The Megas music so I like Bandcamp. I am trying to develop a game in RPG Maker without being able to make music well or being able to draw pixel art well. So Soundcloud is great for Royalty Free Video Game music. Some people put up their music with specific licenses for free commercial use, and its great music.

Btw, now might be the time, since I bought Launcbox to ask for consideration of a few things. One, could you add a save function to custom color themes? Lol, that's what I'm playing with now. And two, could you also add the option for a 3d button look to the boxart? Oh and also could you implement add PC game to the import menu? I've been using import MS-Dos game, then unchecking "Use Dosbox", and changing the status line to read "Imported PC Windows Game". This should probably go in the troubleshooting forum, but I also should mention I was having problems with the background images. When I had the view settings set to display metadata on hover and/or on selection and also had the background settings for anything but "Launchbox default background" Launchbox kept replacing the background art every time I clicked a game, and then would crash to desktop. Sorry I'm not being more specific. I turned it to default background within the first hour of downloading it because it solved the crashing, and it hasn't happened since, so I'm not sure exactly what about that combination of settings was crashing it.

kamyk2000 said Btw, now might be the time, since I bought Launcbox to ask for consideration of a few things. One, could you add a save function to custom color themes? Lol, that's what I'm playing with now. And two, could you also add the option for a 3d button look to the boxart? Oh and also could you implement add PC game to the import menu? I've been using import MS-Dos game, then unchecking "Use Dosbox", and changing the status line to read "Imported PC Windows Game". This should probably go in the troubleshooting forum, but I also should mention I was having problems with the background images. When I had the view settings set to display metadata on hover and/or on selection and also had the background settings for anything but "Launchbox default background" Launchbox kept replacing the background art every time I clicked a game, and then would crash to desktop. Sorry I'm not being more specific. I turned it to default background within the first hour of downloading it because it solved the crashing, and it hasn't happened since, so I'm not sure exactly what about that combination of settings was crashing it.
Game -> Add and then point the edit to the correct exe. That's how I have been adding GOG games.

SentaiBrad said Well I am an idiot, but Jason raises a good point, changing the name invalidates it. No im not a musician, but I lke chiptune and The Megas music so I like Bandcamp. I am trying to develop a game in RPG Maker without being able to make music well or being able to draw pixel art well. So Soundcloud is great for Royalty Free Video Game music. Some people put up their music with specific licenses for free commercial use, and its great music.
I was toying with RPGmaker at one point, creating a sort of Zelda/Lufia2 hybrid, but as with nearly everything in my life, I got bored with it. ADHD (minus the H, so just ADD) stinks.
SentaiBrad said Game -> Add and then point the edit to the correct exe. That's how I have been adding GOG games.
Yeah I saw that in another post, but it really would be more convenient in the import section.

@Jason It occurred to me to wonder how my requests came across, so for the record I wanted to let you know that I did not mean it to sound like I think buying Launchbox entitled me to make demands on you Jason. I just felt that I had no business even making suggestions or requests without contributing first is all. In other news, Launchbox has now allowed me to reclaim my desktop real estate from all the game shortcut icons I had on it My desktop icons are now a few folders, utility shortcuts, and Launchbox. :) @SentaiBrad What kind of pixel art are you looking for? Characters? Outdoor furnishings? I'm notorious for getting bored with things quickly, but I'm also decent at pixel art. Let me know what you need and I might come up with a few things...