LaunchBox Community Forums

Locate Doubles

Kriven

Forgive me if this feature already exists, but it would be handy if LaunchBox could locate doubles of existing games for specific platforms. For example, Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega Genesis should not be considered a double with Sonic the Hedgehog on Steam, but if two copies of the title exist for Sega Genesis, LaunchBox should be able to point that out.

Kriven said Forgive me if this feature already exists, but it would be handy if LaunchBox could locate doubles of existing games for specific platforms. For example, Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega Genesis should not be considered a double with Sonic the Hedgehog on Steam, but if two copies of the title exist for Sega Genesis, LaunchBox should be able to point that out.
Well... it doesn't exist, but it could. Only problem is it could get to be very tricky. Would you consider Ocarina of time 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 duplicates? They're just different versions. Some times it behoves someone like us to keep multiple versions for Rom Hacking, cheats, or in the case of OoT, no cut content. In Links Awakening (not DX) you'd keep the first version so you can screen skip to the last boss really fast. Later versions keep this out, but the later versions also are usually based for Rom Hacks, at least with DX. So unless you want that glitch... It's sort of tricky... What about games with slightly altered names? Castlevania Symphony of the Night, or Castlevania SotN. These are just examples, im not trying to be mean but I have dealt with duplicates. A severe duplicate problem at that. My SNES folder sits at 826 games, but once was at over 2k. As much as this feature would be good to have... for most users I am not so sure. This is one such case where naming conventions are simply very different. One person has one preferred style, one has another. The different versions example I gave could be sort of solved by trying to scan version numbers granted, but I am imagining how difficult that entire system would be to code for Jason. Anyone have any ideas how this could work? Also how I fixed my problem was Windows and the search box. I had full rom sets. Searching "b1" "b2" etc etc etc then selecting all found and deleting them was the way I did it. Then i scrolled through and manually looked for some dupes. Then in LB when everything is imported I went over each section visually looking for them and now at this point I keep an eye out casually as its close to under control.

You could try Anti-Twin. Just point it to the ROM directory and it will find all files with similar names/sizes/etc. and line them up side-by-side so you can delete the ones you don't want. You can adjust the search filters to make it more/less accurate. http://www.joerg-rosenthal.com/en/antitwin/download.html It also has a portable version, so you don't have to install it. Just choose the "without installer" link.

bd000 said You could try Anti-Twin. Just point it to the ROM directory and it will find all files with similar names/sizes/etc. and line them up side-by-side so you can delete the ones you don't want. You can adjust the search filters to make it more/less accurate. http://www.joerg-rosenthal.com/en/antitwin/download.html It also has a portable version, so you don't have to install it. Just choose the "without installer" link.
Well that would completely disprove my "how hard that is" theory. :P I usually try to see things from Jason's point of you. That said... I wonder what their license looks like.. xD How is its compatibility and results?

LOL Smile Don't know about the license. You can adjust the settings to make it more or less strict. It feels like it saves you time. It's definitely worth a try in situations like this. There are other similar apps out there, but I can't remember their names off the top of my head.