LaunchBox Community Forums

Strange video preview issue in big Box while using Steam In-Home streaming

SagaXIV

Long story short, I recently moved a PC in another room, and started using bigbox via Steam in House streaming. When I look at the host screen (main PC), everything is displayed fine, but when I use the PC bigbox is streamed to, whenever the video preview starts, the whole screen goes balck, and I have my video in the upper left corner. (I'll try to take a picture or capture later on. For reference, I use the VLC option for videos. I still can play the gamews fine, and controls are responsive once I use them (press play for instamce). I am guessing it's just a dumb setting or something PC/software related, but I was wondering if anyone has similar issues, or any insights. Thanks!

Yea it sounds like the way the streaming is trying to handle the video it's trying to display it as a fullscreen, but you get the effect of a black screen with the video in the corner because it's not the resolution of the screen. I don't know what settings are available as I don't use the service myself, but toggling some of them might fix it... I just don't know exactly what. If someone else has run in to this issue, please let us know what you did. I'll also forward this to Jason to see if there is anything on his end that he can do. At the end of the day it might just be a bug or a driver incompatibility, who knows.

Got it working fine. After reading a long thread about this issue on the Beta of in house streaming, I found that some adjustments need to be made on the client machine version of steam as well. If anyone runs into a similar issue, make sure to check your BigPicture setting both on your host AND client machine. Smile

Hi @SagaXIV, by chance are you using the latest beta? @muppets4 is having an odd issue with controllers here: https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/troubleshooting/strange-behaviour-with-big-box-and-steam-in-home-streaming#p15464 Was curious if you had ever seen that or if you happened to know how to solve it, since I don't have a Steam Link. Thanks!

I had issues too using VLC in combination with In Home Streaming. When I switched to Windows Media Player the problems were gone. My controller issues are not only with the Link, but I do also have them on a PC acting as a client. The left stick tries to be a mouse. I can control the cursor with it. Where it should control the game (-:

Just woke up, I'lll have to check out later, but irc, I had to disable the new "autohotkey" feature, because pressaing A would quit the game, no matter what I didi. I will keep you posted on that as soon as I have enough coffee! Laugh Edit: FOr the record, I manage to keep VLC and sollve the video issue.

muppets4 I did not had that kind of issues. Which contrller and/or piece of software are you using? I do not have many thing to test with, but I use a DS4 with DS4 Windows. For a Wiimote, I had to make a passthrough USB share to the host pc.

SagaXIV said Got it working fine. After reading a long thread about this issue on the Beta of in house streaming, I found that some adjustments need to be made on the client machine version of steam as well. If anyone runs into a similar issue, make sure to check your BigPicture setting both on your host AND client machine. Smile
I'm having the same problem with VLC playing in the upper left hand corner while the rest of the screen is black while streaming to my Steam Link. Can you tell me what settings you changed, or where that thread is you mentioned? Nothing I've done or changed has been able to fix this. I would just use WMP, but for some reason when streaming through the Steam Link the sound coming from the videos is way too loud and distorted. VLC plays the sound fine, but the video is messed up. WMP plays the video fine, but the sound is messed up. Does anybody have any idea how to fix either of these issues? I've been trying all night (just got Premium) but I haven't gotten anywhere Cry