LaunchBox Community Forums

Best way to split LaunchBox Collection (Launcher/Images_videos/games) on 3 HDD

SagaXIV

I reached a point where I think I could benefit from having LB (and maybe emulators?) on a SDD, Images and videos on another, and gmaes on a last drive I can backup. So befor I murder my HDD and Launchbox folder, does anyone have experience with this or general advice? Btw my collection is almost all already scrapped. @SentaiBrad Maybe an advice?Smile

It should work just fine this way. You might as well leave LaunchBox and the images on the same drive, I assume the SSD. These are the things that are most used. Games and emulators work on a different drive. That's how I have mine setup, except not an SSD. I have LaunchBox and all my media on an internal hard drive (SATA3) and my games and emulators on a USB3 external. I would love to move my LB install to an SSD though. Besides not enough space on the drive, everything works great. Working on getting a big internal drive to move all my games and emulators to. I never let LaunchBox move my games. Since you already have all your stuff scraped mostly, just delete the games from within LaunchBox (backup your XML just in case), move everything to the folders you'd want them set up under then re-import all your games and uncheck all of the media check boxes during import. The systems should import extremely fast. I would say use Notepad++ to edit the paths, but if you have multiple systems, and the game root folders and drives are changing I would just re-import as it will be the easiest way. Don't clean your images with the option in Tools while the games are removed or the images will go poof too. Then just fix the paths to your emulators. Don't remove them or you'll have to setup commands and associated platforms all over again.

Sounds like a plan, I'll see how full is my SDD after the transfer, but that's the kind of idea I was lookign for. Worst case I'll get my 2nd SDD. Thing is at the begiining I wanted a all portable Launchbox system, but it's growing too large for my extrenal (usb 3.1). I might as well try to keep it on one computer, since the Nvidia shield makes is kinda portable (not tested oustside home yet...). Thanks both of you for your guidance!