LaunchBox Community Forums

"Object Instance not set to an instance of an object" solution?

Viremaster

I had updated to 4.9 several days ago, and wanted to add new titles to the library. However, when I tried to add them through the drag-and-drop option, I got the error in the title for each item. I then un-and-re-installed the program and started the database from scratch. Using D-fend conf and Steam username to add games worked fine, but there was no change to those added through the other means. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix for it?

Viremaster said I had updated to 4.9 several days ago, and wanted to add new titles to the library. However, when I tried to add them through the drag-and-drop option, I got the error in the title for each item. I then un-and-re-installed the program and started the database from scratch. Using D-fend conf and Steam username to add games worked fine, but there was no change to those added through the other means. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix for it?
This is a general error, usually there is no direct fix unless there is an alternative. Can you reproduce this error each time? Can you copy paste the error code or give us a screenshot? Jason can figure it out if he knows the specifics of the Object Instance.

SentaiBrad said This is a general error, usually there is no direct fix unless there is an alternative. Can you reproduce this error each time? Can you copy paste the error code or give us a screenshot? Jason can figure it out if he knows the specifics of the Object Instance.
This usually happens each time I try to add a rom file or folder. apart from the exeptions in the first message, happens every time. after giving the listing of the console, emulator, and all other options, once it tries to load it I get: "Could not import game from ROM file [filename here]: Object Instance not set to an instance of an object"

Add rom/MSDOS folder/file, select appropriate platform/emulator, use in current location, usually uncheck thegamesdb.net contact for info and image searches (can be unreliable) and defaults for custom options. After unselecting inappropriate files I get the error and no update to DB. These settings brought me trouble only 2 or 3 times with 4.7... though I'm beginning to suspect that I may have an issue with one of its outside libraries due to failures in unrelated programs.

Ah, it does appear that my .NET Framework libraries need repaired and the installer for it is not wanting to recognize its own program as a valid .msi file. However, I believe that when this problem is fixed, that will solve the issue with Launchbox.

• 1 month later...
Hello, is there a solution yet? I'm having the exactly same problem with LaunchBox 4.9. The import worked flawlessly with my Sega 32x collection (only 35 games). But with N64 or NES-Roms the error message above pops up and nothing gets imported. I already tried repairing/reinstalling .NET to no avail. I seem to have .NET 4.5 installed, if that is any help. Thanks for any help!

Cabirus said Hello, is there a solution yet? I'm having the exactly same problem with LaunchBox 4.9. The import worked flawlessly with my Sega 32x collection (only 35 games). But with N64 or NES-Roms the error message above pops up and nothing gets imported. I already tried repairing/reinstalling .NET to no avail. I seem to have .NET 4.5 installed, if that is any help. Thanks for any help!
Jason and I posted in a thread about the problem you are describing. Did you update and get the issue or is it a fresh install? Also, in LaunchBox, under the update tab in settings, check to allow Beta updates. See if this fixes the issue. If its a fresh install, changing the XML back or starting with a new one may not fix it.