LaunchBox Community Forums

I can't send suggestions to "TheGamesDB.net"

I tried to send the below email to TheGamesDB.net but the forum is down and their email on there wiki is not working. I wanted to give the below suggestion to help them and you. If anyone has a contact for them can you please send on these suggestions. Thanks, Shades Dear TheGameDB, This is an amazing site you have! There are some suggestions I have to flesh out the system requirements section for the PC games. Under System Requirements: Use Multi select drop list, like you use for Genres, for each category's OS, Processor, RAM. etc Add whether the game uses mouse and/or joystick Other platforms: There are a lot of games that are included in collection packages and should be linked to. Clear logo, banners, fan art should be cross platform. (maybe this is and I haven’t noticed it. Other system details to add under requirements Game Aspect ratio. All MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 and most Win95/98 games are 4:3 Launch game file name Install file name Setup file name All of this info can be very helpful when using DOSBox. Some games have additions executable files that should be tracked and labeled like a saved game transfer. Most games no longer have support anymore but there are fan organizations that can help. For example WCNews.com is a great site for support for Wing Commander games. Maybe something like this can be added. Adding Game Manuel’s Those are my thoughts. If you need me to expound upon any of these further don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the great work. :D Sincerely, Shades

Hi Shades, unfortunately TGDB is almost completely unresponsive to requests/suggestions. I've tried a few times in the past couple years and I've had very little luck. In the future, we're ultimately going to be creating our own game metadata and images database partially for this reason. When we do it, we'll make sure we cover pretty much all grounds. :)

As I was trying to trouble shoot installing DOS games yesterday. (No fault of your program.) I ran across a site called PCGamingWiki.com It has several of the features I was talking about above. If something like this could be merged with TheGamesDB that would be awesome. Maybe there is a way you could work with them. I don't know if there is a way to pull from a wiki but it looks useful. Keep up the great work! Smile Sincerely, Shades

That does indeed look useful...lots of good data there. We'll have to see if they have any kind of an API and what their policy is on applications using their data. Wanna check that out for me? Unfortunately, we've reached out to TheGamesDB many times in the past and haven't had much luck working with them, or even getting a response as of late.