LaunchBox Community Forums

Password keeper

garbanzo

Just brainstorming about what could be a unique and useful feature... In the days before battery saves, many old games used passwords to allow you to start where you left off. Writing passwords down on a piece of paper is OK. Keeping a .txt file filled with passwords is a little better. And keeping passwords inside LaunchBox using a Custom Field is close to perfect! But it could be even better. What if LB supported a popup controlled by a global hotkey (CTRL-ALT-P perhaps). When you play through a game and get a password, hit pause, hit the hotkey, and a window pops up asking for the Level and the Password. Maybe entries can even get timestamped. Then close the window and keep playing. Later, when you start playing again, hit the hotkey, find the password you want, type it in, and go! Not sure if such a thing can be implement or not, but it sure would be nice :)

Anything is possible, as long as you're not asking us to inject the password back in to the game, but I probably misread that. Just shy of essentially coding a video game, this would be awesome and totally useful. I just was just streaming MM7 last night and the passwords popped up. I used save states instead so that is my only concern, why would I use this over save states? If the codes are general enough though, if you lose the save state the code should still work, so it can still have some use for some people.

I don't use save states personally - I prefer to keep my experience as close to the original as possible :) And no, I'm definitely not asking LB to automatically populate the password field of every possible ROM run in every version of every emulator - that seems just short of impossible :)

Jason Carr said Come to think of it, this could probably be solved with screenshots, for the most part.
That's what I was thinking too, mostly because Passwords can be images and characters instead of just numbers and letters. Golden Sun's password if you want to carry over everything to 2 is a very long 64 character password.