LaunchBox Community Forums

Adding PSX to Retroarch learning how

eric

To start PSX in RetroArch I find is way better with its shaders than set emulator's so this is how i got it to run. and you can to. update your cores in RA with "mednafen_psx_libretro.dll" add you roms to LB, platform= Play Station emulator=Retroarch now it need Bios files to be added for it to work. you can find them on the internet your self. the ones it needs to work are #1 scph5500.bin #2 scph5501.bin #3 scph5502.bin if you cant find them! and have others this is what you do. scph1000.bin = rename to = scph5500.bin scph1001.bin = rename to = scph5501.bin scph1002.bin = rename to = scph5502.bin this will work also Now put these 3 bios files in RA >system folder. Now you must open RA and point it to that Dir, for bios settings settings tab>directory>system bios dir and pick the Dir with the bios files now you can play.. and add the Diff shaders for a cleaner look than any of the standalone emus that iv used for this platform ..

This is a bit off topic, but I want to ask something. Does Mednafen with the RA shaders actually have a good image for PSX games? One of the main reasons I do not change ePSXe, is all the configuratiosn to make the games look better. I honestly have better luck using my PS2 with my CRT, but on PC, especially 3D games look bad without all the settings of ePSXe. 100% correct emulation looks bad to me. I understand that they look like this, cause the 3D graphics are actually hollow shapes to save processing power (sorry if I do not know what i ma talking about, I just remember some talks by a 3D designed friend). On a TFT you see all those shapes and how badly they are made. I was shocked when I tried to Emulate my FF9 and it looked so horrible. Normally I would go and play on my CRT, but ever since I got tinnitus, the sound my CRT TV does, makes the ringing in my ears so bad.

Much like in ePSXe different shaders will have different looks based on whether or not the game is 2D or 3D. Right now ePSXe is probably better at handling the 3D stuff but don't hold me to that statement since I do not play any 3D games in the Playstation. But the PSX core is getting lots of work done to it to better handle how 3D games look. PSX is getting hardware openGL support. Also take a look at the Retroarch main site and scroll down a tiny bit to see some of the work that is being done on it. http://www.libretro.com/

Thing is, that the more accurate the looks of PSX games on emulators, the more all the things that CRT TV hides will show. This is why at least for PSX, I avoid anything that boasts accurate emulation. Also wow.. just reading that makes me smile. Thanks for the link. Also I really need to update my RA. Have to check the changes since 1.3.0. But the sure is 3D games look bad. I have yet to play my all time favorite game, because when I saw the 3D on an emulator, I cringed. I wish I had the eyes I have before a decade, that everything looked awesome, even if they actually were not that great XD

Accurate emulation isn't about looks but about game glitches, game timing and compatibility. The only possible benefits of less accurate emulation is speed on extremely low end hardware and certain rom hacks the use those speed hacks to manipulate how a game plays. Those old 32 bit 3D era games aged extremely poorly and the only way to even begin to make it looks less terrible is by up-scaling the internal resolution but that will only go so far for the 32 bit era. While you can upscale the resolution to sort of clean up the polygons edges you cannot clean up the textures, they are what they are. This is why I limit my Playstation game collection to 2D sprite based stuff. You are right about what we all thought about 3D for it's time back then, it looked great. I remember when I picked up my Saturn back in the day and took it home to play Daytona and Virtua Fighter 2, man did they ever look amazing back then. Now not so much, lol. Looking back at it I wish game companies would have waited on the 3D games until the N64, PS2 and Dreamcast era. I wish they would have pushed the 2D sprite based stuff more instead of jumping on the 3D bandwagon. Just looking strictly at the art compare a game like FF7 to Lunar on the Playstation and Lunar just destroys FF7 today. FF7 looks horrendous while Lunars sprites look amazing still to this day.

Developers wanted to do something new, so they went 3D when they did. RA is making some huge strides in PS1 and N64 development though, keep an eye on it. You can also still use CRT shaders on PS1 games if you really want. There haven't been that many issues I've seen from up-scaling 3D PS1 graphics. I just wish Blasto didn't run like absolute crap. :P