LaunchBox Community Forums

mGBA as a suggested GBA emulator

tony971

Cores don't come packed with the installer anymore - you have to actively download them. So I don't suppose it matters much which core is set as default in LB - if the user hasn't downloaded that core, it won't mean a thing. Honestly if someone uses RetroArch I would guess they know what they know their way around the command line and don't need help setting default emulator options :)

SentaiBrad said Have you tried the latest VBA-M from their Sourceforge page? Curious. I also wonder how it compared to the GBA cores in RetroArch.
It was benchmarked at 30% faster months ago. It's only gotten better since. But I wasn't talking about the retroarch core. The standalone program is excellent. The dev made the retroarch port herself and keeps it in the master branch, I believe. So either version of mGBA should be acceptable. But like I said, it's only the recent nightly builds of the standalone program that got the functioning fullscreen command line.

tony971 said
SentaiBrad said Have you tried the latest VBA-M from their Sourceforge page? Curious. I also wonder how it compared to the GBA cores in RetroArch.
It was benchmarked at 30% faster months ago. It's only gotten better since. But I wasn't talking about the retroarch core. The standalone program is excellent. The dev made the retroarch port herself and keeps it in the master branch, I believe. So either version of mGBA should be acceptable. But like I said, it's only the recent nightly builds of the standalone program that got the functioning fullscreen command line.
Yea, surprisingly most cores carry over very well. The only ones I don't wanna try are DS and PSP games. I feel the emulators are just a bit better and more tailored. As far as speed and compatibility, I haven't had any issues with VBA-M, Program or core, or VBA-Next's core. All good quality with a good / max speed, so mGBA has me curious.

garbanzo said Cores don't come packed with the installer anymore - you have to actively download them. So I don't suppose it matters much which core is set as default in LB - if the user hasn't downloaded that core, it won't mean a thing. Honestly if someone uses RetroArch I would guess they know what they know their way around the command line and don't need help setting default emulator options :)
This was the train of thought Jason and I had. We want to try and make sure we get the best emulators with the best compatibility and can achieve good speeds. The general user more than likely wont care that a frame drop happens once or twice, or that the emulator is using speed hacks and isn't very accurate. Either case, they want their games to run. They want to be able to make it to the end and use save states. If they are a power user and are a stickler for any one of the things I talked about, then yea they know how to change around and experiment with emulators and cores. For clarity too, Jason never said we wouldn't ever change the default core, we just need to make sure that it is better in the long run. For example, I point anyone to the Dolphin fork thread to see what I mean.

Advantages of VBA-M: Shaders and Dolphin connectivity (both of which are on the to-do list for mGBA) Advantages of mGBA: Faster, more accurate (it actually runs the classic NES games that put in a bunch of anti-emulation measures), and rewinding.

I personally don't find the NES game Ports to be a bonus. The emulation that was originally there was ok to bad, but the resolutions are all off. Emulating the NES is the better option here. Here is my main source of information on a lot of things emulation, besides personal research and experience. http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Game_Boy_Advance_emulators#Emulators If you scroll down a bit it will show the differences between the emulators too.

I've seen that wiki before. It had some fantastic info when each wiki page was added but I think they mostly bump version numbers. I only brought up the NES stuff because it was running well enough to trick the anti-emulation efforts. One thing I forgot to mention is that it has solar sensor emulation. So boktai 2 is completely playable. Oh and prefetch so the timings are right. Even if VBA-M has advantages right now, mGBA is quickly overtaking it in every category. She's finishing up wii/vita/3ds ports right now but shaders and Dolphin connectivity are set for the next release. Those are the last two reasons I can think of to keep using VBA-M.

tony971 said Advantages of VBA-M: Shaders and Dolphin connectivity (both of which are on the to-do list for mGBA) Advantages of mGBA: Faster, more accurate (it actually runs the classic NES games that put in a bunch of anti-emulation measures), and rewinding.
If you use mGBA via RetroArch you have access to plenty of nice shaders :) I personally don't like playing with borders, but you have to admit this is pretty cool. GBA_Shader_LUT.png

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...