LaunchBox Community Forums

Great Frontend, a couple of questions :)

polygonslayer

Hi everyone, new member here. I've been trying to set up my HTPC for a good while now and up until recently have been using RocketLauncher along with kodi (Advance Launcher) as the frontend. However, I do find that kodi is just too slow and is quite cumbersome so when I found Launchbox, saw the video and tried it out yesterday for myself (bought the premium since I want it for use on my TV) I've decided that I will be moving over. There are a few things I'm wondering about, some of which might be feature requests? Probably stuff that has been asked for before. I did have a quick look around the forums, but couldn't find any specific answers to exactly what I'm wondering about. So when importing games/roms into Launchbox is there a way for it to automatically detect if I got multiple language versions of a rom? Like in AdvanceLauncher it would look for tags. It would look something like this: "Gamename {English} cd1.xxx" then the next being "Gamename {German} cd2.xxx" etc. The importer would collect all the roms that have the same name before the brackets and order them based on the cd-number. Would this be something that could be implemented into Launchbox? The same was used when having multidisc games. I found that you can set this up manually by using Additional Apps, but having a lot of games would make this a very long process :/ It would be great (might be asking a bit much here) if the importer would recognize the {} brackets as well if your already planning on implementing something like this? since it would take a long time to re-name everything :p I've seen other people ask for importing local info on games as well, and I would love it if I had the option, but that is less of an issue for me than the multi language/disc games. In any case, love the style of Launchbox and will definitely be migrating over as I can see this just get better and better :) Advance Launcher I feel has slowed down a lot in development and working inside kodi (which also does a ton of other stuff so it's understandable) is just a pain. Cheers :)

polygonslayer said Hi everyone, new member here. I've been trying to set up my HTPC for a good while now and up until recently have been using RocketLauncher along with kodi (Advance Launcher) as the frontend. However, I do find that kodi is just too slow and is quite cumbersome so when I found Launchbox, saw the video and tried it out yesterday for myself (bought the premium since I want it for use on my TV) I've decided that I will be moving over. There are a few things I'm wondering about, some of which might be feature requests? Probably stuff that has been asked for before. I did have a quick look around the forums, but couldn't find any specific answers to exactly what I'm wondering about. So when importing games/roms into Launchbox is there a way for it to automatically detect if I got multiple language versions of a rom? Like in AdvanceLauncher it would look for tags. It would look something like this: "Gamename {English} cd1.xxx" then the next being "Gamename {German} cd2.xxx" etc. The importer would collect all the roms that have the same name before the brackets and order them based on the cd-number. Would this be something that could be implemented into Launchbox? The same was used when having multidisc games. I found that you can set this up manually by using Additional Apps, but having a lot of games would make this a very long process :/ It would be great (might be asking a bit much here) if the importer would recognize the {} brackets as well if your already planning on implementing something like this? since it would take a long time to re-name everything :p I've seen other people ask for importing local info on games as well, and I would love it if I had the option, but that is less of an issue for me than the multi language/disc games. In any case, love the style of Launchbox and will definitely be migrating over as I can see this just get better and better :) Advance Launcher I feel has slowed down a lot in development and working inside kodi (which also does a ton of other stuff so it's understandable) is just a pain. Cheers :)
Pretty much all of that is going to make its way in. Again for the newer people I just stress that Jason is the only coder, with the exception of the Translations he does it all alone. So things can take time when he's got a big project under way. Detecting Language and Disc Numbers so that they are in the title I believe is on the list and will be implemented. The more people that want it, which is now quite a few, the higher up on the list it goes. Same with importing local info, he'll probably pick a standard that another Front End has used. Also keep note, that there is only so much LaunchBox can do with disc games. Take Final Fantasy 7 or Parasite Eve. When you want to switch a disc, LaunchBox does nothing other than send a load command to the emulator with that disc. It can not facilitate the switching of the discs. You'll still have to do that within the emulator. I think RetroArch (1.2.2) is getting it right in a lot of ways, this being one of them. When it comes to needing to mount discs for... Saturn or Dreamcast... (one of those two systems or both) there should be a way for LaunchBox to facilitate it, but its not in as of yet. You still need to do it manually. However, there aren't too many games you would need to do this for. I can literally only think of three games with multiple discs on Dreamcast. Welcome, and thank you for the questions. As long a you don't mind my long replies.

A cool, great to hear. :) It's very impressive work for one coder, got to say! Easy to use, snappy and looks great on the TV already. Might wait to do the big importing though until some of the detection stuff is in. Not sure if I wanna go back and re-name it all etc. Took forever to already name it the way it is haha. The switching of discs RocketLauncher handles perfectly already so not worried about that :) Really recommend RL as a background manager for anyone who want more functionality and options there, only thing is that it's fair from as userfriendly as Launchbox. Took me a good while to figure it all out.

polygonslayer said A cool, great to hear. :) It's very impressive work for one coder, got to say! Easy to use, snappy and looks great on the TV already. Might wait to do the big importing though until some of the detection stuff is in. Not sure if I wanna go back and re-name it all etc. Took forever to already name it the way it is haha. The switching of discs RocketLauncher handles perfectly already so not worried about that :) Really recommend RL as a background manager for anyone who want more functionality and options there, only thing is that it's fair from as userfriendly as Launchbox. Took me a good while to figure it all out.
You don't need to rename anything. As long as it see's "Super Mario Bros" it will search that against the database. If it can't find a clean match, it wont use it. In some cases there will be a wrong import, but its very little. In the end, all the tweaking has been done and there isn't going to be too much more he can do to improve that.

That would be absolutely fantastic! :D Curly braces, haha, always wondered what those things were called :) Cheers! Love how easy it is to edit the info on game titles, how you can rate games, mark them as completed etc. All of these things were stuff I wanted when setting it up in kodi originally, and here it's all there already :)