LaunchBox Community Forums

Rom files are not successfully importing

Mr_Bluh

I’m trying to import rom files using the import wizard but the games I’ve selected are not successfully importing. Specifically, I’m trying to import Sega Genesis games. Some of the games are zipped and some are extracted SMD files. The system I selected was Sega Genesis, and the default emulator I’ve configured is the Kega Fusion. Initially, I used the wizard to import a folder of games. Of the 80 genesis games in the folder, only 7 were successfully imported. I ran the wizard again and deselected the options for metadata to download concurrently, but this was still not successful. Then, I tired importing one game at a time. This didn’t work either. After that, I tried to import the games under the system Mega Drive. This was not successful either. Can someone please help me out with this issue? I just started using launchbox, and so far I’ve had a great experience with this frontend. It’s significantly better and more visually appealing than the frontend I was using before - Hyperspin. Thanks.

Take me through your process a bit to see if there are any ways to troubleshoot this, because what you described should work. Import, Select a folder, Name it the proper name (which in this case is the Sega Genesis) then let it go. Did it still add the games just to a different folder? If the import process took a good amount of time then this is the more likely scenario. Also, are they zip's with one rom file inside? If they have multiples they will not run correctly.

Thanks for responding. I'm stumped too, because the process I'm using is the exact process I've used to set up other emulators. To answer some of your questions: -I always select to have the rom files stay in the original folder. -The import process (which I've tried multiple times now attempting to fix this problem) is really quick. -I've unzipped every rom file and so it's not an issue of multiple files inside one zip folder. Thanks.

My first thought is that all the games are imported, they're just in a different location and it wont import them because they're all already there. Go to your LB install directory, create a back up of your LaunchBox.xml file. LaunchBox.xml - Copy will be its name and delete the original. Then launch LB again, this will generate a new XML for you and remove all of your games. Test importing your roms again. XML errors can be common. If it still doesn't work after that I will screenshot my entire process to make sure everything is fine... but that said, what you've described to me should work, so XML issue more than likely.

So when it was generating the information for the XML file, more than likely there was some sort of unreported error that broke the import process. LaunchBox thought you had them, but they were no where to be found. As a result, it wouldn't import them because it thought they would be duplicated. I am glad I could help.

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue with my mame /arcade roms I should have around 9000 but only showing under 1500 I will try copying my Xml file and deleting the original so it rebuilds it.

If that don't work how do I undo the hide field so it shows all of them?

Thanks for the help.

Happy I found some things to try. :)

tmp_13087-2017-03-01_19_25.581386736810.thumb.jpg.613c1f6051fc426a2c0268e960cb3c21.jpgThanks Jason.

I couldn't find the XML file so I did some poking around and found my game/rom path was pointing to the wrong directory and I fixed that. I now have around 3000 games showing I'm guessing the rest are different versions of each rom and are hidden. I like MK2 v.2.1 for the glitches so I'll be trying to turn filters off next.

Strange it still found games even with the wrong directory..?

Here's some pictures of what I changed.

tmp_13087-2017-03-01_19.27.43-1357215889.jpg

• 2 years later...

Lordmonkus
reported this fix on this thread and it worked for me.  I simply imported my roms as namoi 5 (something thats not on the default list) 

Posted August 17
In my tests I found that if you name the platform differently from the default such as Super Nintendo instead of Super Nintendo Entertainment system but scrape as Super Nintendo Entertainment System it worked fine and caught all the games. Another thing I found was if you turn on Force Import Duplicates it seems to catch every game as well.

Though keep in mind my test was done using a smaller set of SNES specific roms. I did not go beyond that since I was able to reproduce the issue as it was reported by another user.

• 6 months later...

Most often when this happens it's because LaunchBox is detecting duplicate games already in your collection for various reasons. If you change the platform, they're no longer identified as duplicates. If you want to force it, you should be able to just check the box to force importing duplicates.