LaunchBox Community Forums

My Cabinet Build Thread

nathanddrews

Is there a better subforum for this other than "Collections"? I plan on putting my collection in here at some point as well, but not until the cab is complete! I'll be uploading images here as I complete different stages:

Latest Images:
https://imgur.com/a/0Y2lH

My video channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/nathanddrews

SECTION 1 - My Goal
My goal is to build an arcade cabinet that plays relatively few games, but I want those games to run near flawless. The hardest part is removing games that don't belong. You know how sometimes going through Netflix looking for something to watch can be entertainment in itself? Yeah, I want to avoid that. Right now, I have under 200 games on the testbed PC. Just because I can put the game on there is not reason enough to keep it. I primarily want a good mix of classic arcade games, the best fighting games, lots of multiplayer beat 'em ups, side-scrolling platformers, and whatever light gun shooters I can get working well.

SECTION 2 - The Cabinet
This cabinet will be approximately 48" wide by 30" deep by 48-60" tall. I haven't decided on the final height, but I'm going to start building anyway. 2x4 and 3/4" plywood will rest on 4" casters. The control panel will have room for four with an UltraStick 360 and eight Spectra Eclipse LED buttons per player. https://www.ultimarc.com/ultrastik_info.html http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=408

Section 3 - The Guts

Repurposed Dell Dimension desktop
Intel Core i3-2120
8GB RAM
256GB SSD
GTX 470
Sony Trinitron KV-34XBR800 (210lbs!) DVI 1080p
Sony FWD-42PV1 EDTV Plasma 480p
RetroArch + LaunchBox Big Box
REL Q108 subwoofer

Section 4 - Build Log
Oct 26, 2015 - Began configuring LaunchBox, Big Box, and RetroArch.
Oct 24, 2015 - Pulled an old REL Q108 subwoofer out of the garage. The TV speakers are very good, but the sub gives every punch some much needed oomph. Began attaching plywood exterior.
Oct 22, 2015 - Hooked up the computer and controllers.
Oct 20, 2015 - Built up the rest of the primary frame and set the TV on top. It rolls very well and is incredibly sturdy.
Oct 15, 2015 - Put casters on the support frame.
Oct 14, 2015 - Built the bottom support frame.
.....tinkering with house renovations.....
Feb 7, 2017 - I have been slowly working on the software side of things. However, last night I picked up a free 42" 480p Plasma to replace the 34" XBR CRT. My reason for getting a CRT was for light gun game compatibility, but I did not take into account the internal processing making it impossible to use traditional light guns. Since everyone and his mother is using USB/IR guns now, I figure that's good enough for me, so I'm abandoning the monstrous CRT and using the plasma. Not only is it lighter in weight, but the panel is truly uniform in clarity from edge to edge. Inky blacks like a CRT, great motion, and excellent contrast and color. 240p games scale incredibly well to its native 480p resolution. I freaking love this thing!
Feb 15, 2017 - I am testing out a new 6-button controller and everything is working well with RetroArch except for N64 controllers. Those darn C-Buttons... Video review below.

iBuffalo 16-button Controller:

Sony 480p Plasma:

Preview of new screen rotation:

Edited by nathanddrews
New video

Jason Carr said Sounds awesome, @nathanddrews. I'll look forward to following this. Per the subforum, I do think this is the best place. Maybe I should rename it "Collections and Builds"?
That sounds like a good idea! Maybe I'm just missing it, but I don't seem to be able to edit my post? Minimum post threshold not met? EDIT: Nope, I can edit this one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...