LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Overlay

mathflair

Lately I've been thinking of creating an overlay system for use with LaunchBox. It would allow you to launch emulators, and also to pause the emulator and bring up a menu allowing access to save states, manuals, etc... The goal would be to enable you to use the emulators all using only a controller (e.g., XBox 360 controller). Basically, a version of RocketLaunch that is tailored to LaunchBox and is not as buggy as RocketLaunch. I'm writing this post for two reasons: 1) Determine who might have interest in helping create the overlay system. 2) Determine what features the community would like from the system. As for #1, I've done enough research to know how to overlay the emulators, but it requires writing DirectX and OpenGL interfaces. I've never done that before, and while I could learn, if someone already knows how to make those interfaces I would love some help. So let me know what you all think.

I really don't know how to help you because I have zero knowledge in programming, I can only translate to spanish but I don't think that will be useful for the overlay. Anyway this is awesome. You can also try to find some help at r/emulation, there are a lot of programmers there and a lot of people like LaunchBox in that subreddit.

I'd love to see this happen, although I'm not sure how I could help. RocketLauncher seems like it could be a really powerful tool...but it's such a convoluted mess that I couldn't stand messing with it. Retroarch has taken care of much of my needs in that regard. Having an actual BigBox dedicated overlay would be sweet though. As far as specific functionality, I think Steam's overlay is a pretty good example. Having a web interface to look up information would be nice. Some kind of PDF viewer for manuals/guides would be cool. Maybe some kind of activity log - like the recent games you've played and for how long; and you could launch those games directly from that list. I dunno...just throwing some stuff out there Laugh