LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame game naming issues

beev

Hello, happy premium user here. I am using retroarch for my mame setup. I have recently renamed all the roms to their real names. Turns out retroarch will no longer load them due to the name change. To top that off most games won't show artwork while sporting that original name. My question is, is there a way to get the real name of the games to show up in launchbox while the roms stay as the name that retroarch will recognize and play? Maybe using a csv file in some way? Thanks in advance to anybody reading!!Wink

Well I tried this https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/emulation/tool-to-import-metadata-for-mame-roms-from-mame-dat-or-arcadehits-net and used the arcade hits instead of the mame dat. It was a step forward as far as playability after the preset renames. I think the list I had before to convert the names was better. I'm going to try using it with the mame dat next and see what kind of results that will give me.

The roms need to stay their odd names because of MAME, and since you imported it that way the images are off. This is why though LB hasn't as of yet officially supported MAME because of the whole naming thing. Jason hasn't had the time to build in the MAME.dat files that decode each of the games names. Once this is built in to LB, the names wouldn't need to be changed on the users side.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for your quick reply.  I had issues with Launchbox downloading MAME information previously but I've now figured out how to use ClrMAME Pro and I've rebuilt the ROMs using the 0.176 DAT file with 0.138 as a base and every update pack from 0.139 to 0.176.  Will this make it easier for Launchbox to parse the information and download the correct details or do I need to do something within Launchbox with the DAT file?

When you add your arcade ROMs and use MAME as the emulator it should have special options for arcade added to the importer. Brad has a good MAME tutorial on the YouTube channel that walks you through the import process that will show you everything you need to know.